904 tranny leak

-

xempirex

Reaction score
We pulled the pan on my trans this weekend to get a re-thread done. Changed the filter, new gasket, everything's tight. New bolt that needed help is snug. Leaking again!!! My buddy thinks we just need to re-tighten. Is that right or did we get it wrong??? I haven't jacked it back up for the exact leak location but it looks like the same place. Used a heli coil on the re-thread.

I would try looking a little higher . There is few things there that may make it see as though the pan is leaking.... the pan is the lowest point so it will always flow to the pan gasket area.
Check the leaver seal area there are 2 seals there, (1) the main leaver seal and (2) the throttle shaft seal. Also look at the neutral switch area there is a seal on that as well. Also the filler tube oring may cause it too.Take a can of brake clean spray it down blow it off and run the car for a while you should see it seeping from where ever its coming from.
If it turns out to actully be the pan gasket again, make sure the pan bolt holes are not lumped up from over tightening if they are, then tap them down flat and install a new pan gasket...... NO IMPACT GUN ! GL to ya

not to hijack, but I also have a mystery leak on my 904....have yet to get under and REALLY look yet but I can see its a little wet looking around my neutral switch,lever shaft,I see its wet on the bottom of the bell and its dripping off my pan.

I installed new front and rear seals,new pan gasket.....not sure where it could be coming from.

also it leaks more when sitting on an upward incline (rear of trans slightly angled downward) than it does the other way around.......and this is just sitting, not running. ( it will leak a good sized puddle in a week or twos time....after sitting all winter it leaked about 2 quarts and soaked my garage floor)with it leaking more at that incline it makes me believe front pump seal would not be the cause being that the fluid it towards the rear of the trans.

Ill be watching the thread to see who has what opinions on common places these 904's leak from. And good luck on getting yours sealed up too!

...Check the leaver seal area there are 2 seals there, (1) the main leaver seal and (2) the throttle shaft seal. Also look at the neutral switch area there is a seal on that as well. Also the filler tube oring may cause it too...
all of these can be changed WITHOUT removing the trans. if you decide to do the pan gasket again anyway, might as well do these while it's drained.
also, for the pan, i stopped using a gasket long ago. a thick bead of silicone carefully applied to a clean pan and case works great. just don't over tighten :wink: having a leak free trans is a joy

good luck

get the new wire impreganted rubber pan gasket from the dealer...gasket for A-500 or 42RH... reusable gasket..does not leak...

check the o-ring on the speedometer housing...that will tend to leak will car facing up the driveway...also the seal at the shifter is great for leaking

-
Back