904 tranny questions

-

dustoff440

Reaction score
I pulled the valve body off of my 904 tonight to put on a cheetah reverse pattern body, I didn't pull it completely apart but was noticing that it appears that there isn't much meat left on the bands. I was suspicious of this as the guy I bought the tranny was real sketchy on how many miles were on it since the "rebuild". My 360 mag is already going to have about 350 hp and the nitrous will add another 150. Instead of worrying about it I have decided to get it rebuilt. My questions are where you recommend getting a rebuild kit from. Looking to get quality parts for a reasonable price. I have a friend who has a 5800 rpm governer out of I think an old max wedge tranny that I want to get which will settle the shift point question. What I need to know is can a good trans guy build it to have really firm shifts without getting a shift kit, or do I need to get one. I was thinking about the trans kit that gives it really firm shifts and you can hold it in any gear as long as long as you want, but can't remember the name of it. But I really like the stab and steer it idea with the 5800 governer, a little advice here would be greatly appreciated.

Trangs go 2 shift kit is the one that seems to be the most popular. Give John a call at CopeRacingtrans.com

as was stated ,the bands were thin to begin with,but,there is away to do a shift kit n a mopar tranny,without buying one,and it will shift harder than it would,if u bought a shift kit to install in it.now the other question,is finding someone who know how to do it.my dads best friend,(ray kettles) r.i.p,could do it.and worked w him for yrs,but being young,dumb n full of spunk didnt pay alot of attention.sure there is other guys out there who can do it.

Trangs go 2 shift kit is the one that seems to be the most popular. Give John a call at CopeRacingtrans.com

Thanks Mopardude318. I called and spoke to John today. The kit you mentioned the TF2 his part number PSAS--1 is exactly what I wanted. It will allow full control of shifts, can hold it to any rpm and will give you extra firm shifts as well AND you can leave it in drive and it will function just like a factory model. He added that if your mechanically inclined and take your time the average guy can install it. Price....$85.00 For those of you who might also have an interest he said that the site lists a TF2 for only a 727 but to make a side note that it was for a 904 and he would make the necessary mods to make it work.

I was seconds from bolting my cheetah full reverse manual body when I had a change of heart. I really wasn't sure that I was ready to have to shift gears every time and there may be occasions where my wife has to use the car and the manual body/constant shifting would have gone over about as well as a submarine with screen doors.

as was stated ,the bands were thin to begin with,but,there is away to do a shift kit n a mopar tranny,without buying one,and it will shift harder than it would,if u bought a shift kit to install in it.now the other question,is finding someone who know how to do it.my dads best friend,(ray kettles) r.i.p,could do it.and worked w him for yrs,but being young,dumb n full of spunk didnt pay alot of attention.sure there is other guys out there who can do it.

I checked with all the tranny and mopar guys I know around here and there used to be a guy around here that could do exactly what you said but he isn't with us anymore. Anyway I have decided to buy the valve body mod kit from Cope transmissions and redo the valve body and tranny myself, especially after I found out that I only need one fancy tool that I don't have and I can rent it.

I guess the next question is there a really good do it yourself video or cd on rebuilding the 904, even a good manual would work. Also a good reasonable source for the kit to rebuild the trans. I need good non china stuff as I will eventually be putting 500 horses in front of the 904,

All the rebuild parts for transmission are only made by a few companies ......

you get alot of reboxed parts at inflated prices....

I will probably get a nasty PM again......LOL

While I'm at it what this about a 5 disc clutch pack that I remember seeing somewhere for cheap??

i thought i read your trans was 72 904?

later 904 which are known as 999 came with 5 disc in the front clutch pac....BUT...the front pump is also machined to clear the 5 disc clutch pac...your 72 pump is not...

I have installed 5 disc in the 4 disc clutch pac by using the thinner disc...the standard 904 clutch disc for the front drum is .086 ....the rear drum uses disc that are .061 ...

I put 5 of the thinner disc ....you should get about ..060 clearance....I like to set my clearance at .070 for use with a tranny brake...so i have the pressure plate that is part of the clutch pac cut the necessary amount to get to .070....

I have done this in the 4 904s that i have.

hey aarcuda does installing the 5 thin disc on the 4 disc clutch pac 904 is the same as the 5disc 999 , or is the 999 still stronger ?

ive been reading alot on the subject but i only seem to get more confused lol. i can get those 999 for cheap really cheap like 30bucks but i dont want a lock up converter and for what i undestand is a little difficult to make a 999/904 hybrid because of parts not matching but i like the 999 also for the lowgears so what is your opinion ?

the low gears from the 999 can be swapped into the 904...the gears are part of the drivetrain behind the rear drum...

I dont have a 999...but i have two 999 5 disc drums..and they dont fit on a 904 pump...

so a 904 with the 999 gears and 5thin discs and a trans-go its good for how much hp ?

i would not just put a low gear set in it...just to put a low gear set...

heavy cars with small engine benefit from the low gear set....

it all comes down to combination of the parts and gears..and carb..and converter...and camshaft...intake...

-
Back