904 trans...getting no drive

-

elevensies

Reaction score
quick one before i drop the box,
racing last weekend i lost all drive, 1st 2nd but got 3rd with a struggle
no reverse either

it wont set off at all in any gear, , but if i put it in park, turn it off re start i can get slight movement in 1st then it picks up and moves but wont change into 2nd or 3rd
reverse is just a no go at all.

plenty of oil
TCI converter 3000 flash
Turbo action reverse manual valve body
TCI internals

oil smells and looks brown yet its fresh
making a horrible noise in neutral (suppose like a banging but not heavy like loose)

pump? converter? bands? all of it :wack:

any help prior to stripout

its toast, its gotta come out. At minimum, the direct clutch is likely gone. Drop the pan, and see how much material is there.

Looks like another shout out to tci and their poor quality components.

Sounds like something may have let go in the converter. Like Fred said it'll have to come out and go through it. If the converter did come apart internally it most likely sent trash through the front pump

quick one before i drop the box,
racing last weekend i lost all drive, 1st 2nd but got 3rd with a struggle
no reverse either

it wont set off at all in any gear, , but if i put it in park, turn it off re start i can get slight movement in 1st then it picks up and moves but wont change into 2nd or 3rd
reverse is just a no go at all.

plenty of oil
TCI converter 3000 flash
Turbo action reverse manual valve body
TCI internals

oil smells and looks brown yet its fresh
making a horrible noise in neutral (suppose like a banging but not heavy like loose)

pump? converter? bands? all of it :wack:

any help prior to stripout

Oil smells, brown oil, something burnt. As been said, need to drop the pan and find out what kind of crud is in there. When the converter is out, drain as much as you can and see it any metal is in the oil. Also, put an input shaft in the converter and turn it. Should have resistance in one direction and little if any in the other direction. If there is no resistance in either direction the one way roller clutch (sprag) is shot.

thanks for all the help so far
iv managed to source another complete trans, so when i get time i will drop mine, and see whats wrong, then i have a spare should i need it

i will update when done

-
Back