904 Trans oil change

-

cudadriver

Reaction score
Gonna change my trans oil this week 'cause it's supposed to rain and I will have the time. I've read on FABO some members say not to start the car with an empty torque converter so, how do you put fluid in the converter with the drain plug at the 6:00 position?

I have never done it before, but what I would do is put the new tranny fluid in a 1 litre jug(something like outboard eng oil, or rear diff oil comes in) They have a lid on them that you can "snip" put a piece of clear tube on the end, that will also fit inside the drain hole. When you squeeze the jug, it will force the trans fluid up the tube and into the converter. Hopefully you will get enough in to be able to button the plug and pan in and start and fill?? Thats somewhat how I change the oil in my outboard boat motor....fill it from the bottom.
Good luck

It's not going to hurt anything for the short time it will be without fluid. Drain everything, change the filter, adjust the bands then button everything back up. If you have a deep pan you can pour in 6 quarts of fluid. If it's a stock pan pour in 4 quarts. Start in neutral then add 3 more quarts and start checking the level. When it gets close run the shifter through the gears while stationary and recheck the level. Get it up to where it should be and road test. recheck the fluid again and top off as needed.

Start with selector in NEUTRAL not Park. Your converter will fill in about 3 seconds.

Thanx for the advice lads.

I changed oil yesterday it was no problem
I used a oilsuction device and sucked 1st the pan thrue the the levelstickhole.
I have a short pan it was aprox 2L oil.
Then i sucked the connection to the oil cooler until i hade about 5 L oil and all was empty..
After i just filled the pan and i tried to fill the cooler and the backway to the turbine
but i was not easy.
Just started up in N runned the engine for 15 sec and filled in more oil to the pan until it was in ok level

19-1479_l.jpg

-
Back