[WANTED] 904 trans with electric TCC lock up feature.

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charrlie_S

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Contact seller
Looking for a rebuildable core 904 trans (not sure what year, should be late '80's up.) with a single wire connection at the rear of the trans (not for the NSS and backup light) for torque converter lockup. Don't care what engine it fits. Would like as close to Ocala, Florida as possible. Would like to pick up if possible, due to shipping charges. I have stuff I can trade, including other TF transmission cores. or pay reasonable price.

Not sure if this will help in your search, but from what I've found the lockup override (tow/haul switch) didn't seem to appear until the late 80s/early 90s when they changed the designation from A999 to 32RH, and they began appearing in light duty trucks like Dakotas, V6/318 half-tons, and vans.
The issue with the late version is that there were reinforcing ribs added to the tailhousing, which, depending on your plans for the transmission, can interfere with the crossmember- I had to nearly completely remove (grind off) the ribs on top in order to fit one into my '66 (it was a '91 trans), later A bodies may have more room and not have this issue, I have not tried one yet in a '67 and up. The A999s don't have this issue, but they don't have the tow/haul override, either, from what I have seen.
1690740041474.png

Not sure if this will help in your search, but from what I've found the lockup override (tow/haul switch) didn't seem to appear until the late 80s/early 90s when they changed the designation from A999 to 32RH, and they began appearing in light duty trucks like Dakotas, V6/318 half-tons, and vans.
The issue with the late version is that there were reinforcing ribs added to the tailhousing, which, depending on your plans for the transmission, can interfere with the crossmember- I had to nearly completely remove (grind off) the ribs on top in order to fit one into my '66 (it was a '91 trans), later A bodies may have more room and not have this issue, I have not tried one yet in a '67 and up. The A999s don't have this issue, but they don't have the tow/haul override, either, from what I have seen.
View attachment 1716121213
Thanks, that is a little more info. I'm not sure what I am going to do with this setup yet. If there are no issues with the case itself, I might use it in one of my early "A" bodies with a slant six. Or I might use it in my diplomat, as I am getting some occasional converter clutch chatter, when it engages. Indicates some work on the trans in the future.

I am getting some occasional converter clutch chatter, when it engages. Indicates some work on the trans in the future.
A couple of ideas in the meantime:

Switch out the fluid to ATF+4 if you haven't already. ATF+4 was specifically introduced to reduce converter shudder/chatter when DexMerc didn't cut it and ATF+3 proved even worse.
Alternately, try adding a tube (or two) of Lubegard Instant Shudder Fix (part #19610). If one tube helps but doesn't quite do it, add a second. Just about every parts chain carries it, and one of the few "magic fixes" I'll actually recommend to customers. It's safe for use with all transmissions and fluids except CVT, dual-clutch, and Type F. If you're using Type F--DC's hi-perf recommendation for the A904 and A727--it may be part of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back