904 transmission installation

-

crashcaptn

1965 Dodge Dart GT
Reaction score
Next weekend i will be taking my 904 out to do a band-aid job of replacing the front seal. With a 1965 dodge, are there any tricks i should know about the transmission before attacking?

I'm also still on the hunt for a 904. IF i were to find one NOT from 1965, could i modify it so i can use my stock cable linkage from 1965?

AND i wanted to know about the transmission kickdown.. does anyone know the adjustment on that? I have a quick shift through first and second, so im loosing a TON of power on that.

thanks guys

I believe the speedometer drive is different on pre-66 904 trans and I don't know if an adaptor is available. Imperial services is one place to see if an adaptor is available.
The 904 is an easy trans to rebuild, just buy a rebuild manual and watch your clutch clearances. As far as the kickdown linkage, there is a procedure in my old Motors manual that explains it, but it is lengthy. It sounds like you may need to lengthen the rod which goes to the trans. I'm sure someone on this board knows the '65 linkage to point you in the right direction. I put a manual valve body in my 66 so I am of no help!

-
Back