904 transmission leaking

-

68coupe

Reaction score
I replaced the front seal, rear seal, and pan gasket on my 68 904 while I had the engine out (2 years). Now that everything is back together I am having a problem with the dipstick tube leaking. I got several o-rings from RockAuto to replace and see if that is the problem. When I pulled the tube out at least 2 qts came gushing out. Is this normal? The car has only been sitting for about a week since driven.
Thanks

yes, thats normal. Oil level is above the pan. You may need to silicone the oring area to get it to not leak.

yes, thats normal. Oil level is above the pan. You may need to silicone the oring area to get it to not leak.

X2.
Clean the oil off the inside of the dipstick tube hole and tube then give it a coating of RTV on the inside of the hole.
It does little if any good to put it on the tube and oring.

When you put it back in try not to move it around at all, but just slide it into place and get the bolt in it and that should do it.

Dry time is not needed, but if it makes you feel better to wait an hour go for it. :D

PS. it helps to start the car for 10 seconds or so to get the fluid level down before you open anything like dip stick tube and speedo gears.

-
Back