904 Transmission rebuild

-

alexk90

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am in need of some answers. I am doing a 318 swap into my car from a 273. The new motor is a beefed up a bit but nothing crazy at all. So the thing is, I want to go through the transmission and give it so it can stand up to some future upgrades to the motor.
So the question is, what do i need to do? I am just ignoring the 727 stuff because, finding one local is hard as hell and I am just going to go with what I got at the moment.

So any pointers at what good upgrade options would be awesome.

Thank you!

First you couldn't pay me to trade out my 904 for one of those 727 boat anchors , the 904 can be built to withstand anything a 727 can handle plus some . There really isn't much to do at your power level assuming it's a V8 trans to begin with your probably not going to hurt it , that said if you want to go for it then I bought the full race rebuild kit from TCS in Langley BC Canada but you can avoid the border and call Cope , Johns a member here and a good guy . I also bought their billet steel front drum kit with the relocated snap ring groove that enables extra friction and steels in the drum and their 25 spring return module . I was building for 520hp but you won't be seeing anything near that from a 318 so you can probably get away with just a real good rebuild kit .

PS get the video's for the 727 rebuild off youtube there a guy from NSW New Zealand that shows all the little tricks for pulling them apart and putting them together , the 904 is the exact same procedure and super easy to do if you have the space to spread it out as it comes apart like a exploded view diagram , I used a couple of sheets of plywood end to end and really spread it out , took me a couple of hours as a first timer .

NSW is Australia i know we have a similar accent but it is like comparing American accent to Canadian also kiwi's love sheep we steal them then eat them
But yes the series of youtube vids are great

NSW is Australia i know we have a similar accent but it is like comparing American accent to Canadian also kiwi's love sheep we steal them then eat them
But yes the series of youtube vids are great
My Apologies I do know the difference and would never knowingly make the mistake of confusing you , please show us Canadians the same courtesy , nobody wants to be equated with the Yanks eh!
PS -You eat the sheep ? Thats not what we hear you do with them over here mate . lol Cheers -Chris

Nope again you confuse us with the kiwi's (New Zealanders) they have more sheep than population, one of our old songs from the convict era relates to stealing a farmers sheep and eating it
No offense taken Chris just trying to inject a little humour,
Pete

Like wise PeeDee eh !
PS the farmer says he found your gum boots and belt by the edge of the cliff , you can pick them up any time .

He can't figure out why there is mud inside them though.....

Heavier apply lever, thicker band, low gear front drum, transgo shift kit, better input shaft, deeper pan... You can go with more planetaries clutches and steels but it isn't really nessecary if the build is right.

My trans builder only builds race 904s and 727s and has cars into the 9s without extras, that have ran for years.

For the guys that know (not me) how much torque and hp will a 904 rebuilt to stock specs stand up to in a light a body with street tires?

I don't remember where it is posted but the standard duty 904 has an input load rating of 450ftlbs of torque .TCS Products heres a link to the supplier I use and some of the cars they run or provide products for including a 1400hp pro car running a built 904 .

Last edited:
I got a "rebuilt" 904 and was wondering how much it could handle. My mopar machinist said, thats up to me. HE also said 25 HP gain in the 904
Im sure it will handle what I throw at it. I'll be looking for 2800 stall.

-
Back