904 transmission- seeking rebuild advice

-

DaisyDart

Reaction score
Hello Mopar Owners I need some of your assistance and knowledge today. I have a 1970 904 transmission that I pulled out of the Dart because it had a fluid leak from between the engine and trans. As I have it out I've been checking its overall condition and comparing the specs I measure to the service manual. Today I discovered after measuring the drive-train end play that my end play is out of spec. The spec for the 904 is .037-.089 and I measured .100. I read that the thrust washers behind the input and output shaft are what provide this thickness. If my thrust washers are worn how difficult is it to bring the transmission back into spec and what exactly will I have to remove to access these thrust washers. I have a copy of the service manual but its not quite clear on the tear-down portion to repair that specific problem. Also is there a trusted source to obtain 904 transmission parts that any of you have used before? Rock auto does not list all items I was looking for. My last question. Other than a thrust washer kit and the gaskets and seals to put the pump back in the trans, what else should I be looking at while I am looking inside of the trans?
Any helpful advice or experience would be appreciated to help me out. Thank you all.

That is a good kit....

might want to add a reverse band too as it only comes with front band

-
Back