904 transmission with a center console

-

70-duster

Reaction score
has anyone ever installed a 904 into a duster that has a center console? All the the books sell the bracket that the shift rod goes through but says it is only for the 727, not the 904. What do I need to do to make my setup work?

If your talking about this bracket, it aint so difficult to make one. In fact it's the easiest member of the group to make from scratch. The factory put a nylon bushing in the through hole. It fits quite tight to that 1/2 diameter rod. If/when the left biscuit type motor support should break the trans could change gears. What I did was drill a oversize hole there and shove a piece of 1/2 neoprene fuel hose over the rod, just to prevent a possible metal to metal noise. Worked just fine for all the years we owned that car.
transshiftangles2.jpg

Last edited:
If your talking about this bracket, it aint so difficult to make one. In fact it's the easiest member of the group to make from scratch. The factory put a nylon bushing in the through hole. It fits quite tight to that 1/2 diameter rod. If/when the left biscuit type motor support should break the trans could change gears. What I did was drill a oversize hole there and shove a piece of 1/2 neoprene fuel hose over the rod, just to prevent a possible metal to metal noise. Worked just fine for all the years we owned that car.
View attachment 1715014085
Is that the orientation of the bracket too?

If my memory serves, the first pic shows 180 degree or upside down from how it attaches to the trans. In any case the large hole through is to be square to the 1/2 dia' drop rod. Rod went squarely through their bushing.

Hey I installed a 904/340 in my Duster with a console. I found someone with that setup off a parts car and bought it from that source.

No I don't. I found someone parting a car out with the 904. If you send me your email addressd I will send a pic of mine on the Duster. Maybe send it thru starting a private conversation. See ya!

Hey Just checking to see if you received the pics. Thanks

-
Back