904 troubleshooting help please

-

dogdart65

Reaction score
I recently replaced my original 904 trans in my 74 Swinger after it started slipping on 2-3 shift , it had a B&M shift improver kit & TCI 2500 converter , otherwise stock 90K trans , worked great in that configuration for 4 years - over 100 passes till slipping started . Budget was tight so I just took out a trans from a 4 door Dart I had that my old lady wrecked . 80K miles , known to be good . I swapped the valve body & deep pan from the old trans , upgraded the converter to 3000 Hughes , & changed rear axle gears to 3.91 from 3.55 . The car responds great , 1-2 shift good , but it has a hard time shifting to 3rd . At first it wont shift at all , then after warm up driving , I can get it to shift to 3 with thottle playing , sometimes , then it seems to shift on its own sometimes after that , but sluggishly . Could the valve body be leaking ? or gummed ? Govenor problem ? my knowlege of auto trans is limited , so any help would be aprecieated

I would try quart or so of LUCAS transmission additive!

My friend had a trans that wouldn't do anything but reverse. He put a court of of LUCAS in it and now it will chirp the gears!!

check to be sure the kickdown linkage is properly adjusted.

if you back off the throttle and it shifts into 3rd...the throttle pressure linkage needs to be adjusted..

Throttle linkage was adjusted properly , and after first test drive , that was the first thing I checked , I backed it off some w/ no change . When I say I can get it to shift by lifting , thats a little misleading , it's trickier than that , & you have to drive it a couple miles first .

If you have time and parts, try another valvebody. Disassemble the valve body and check for debris. There may be some trash that floated through and now you have a burr on one of the valves. Hard parts are hard parts, they work or they don't the valvebody gives the trans it's personality. IMO

-
Back