904 vs. 42RH - Pictures

-

AnotherA

Reaction score
Here is a side by side visual for anyone looking to do an over drive swap.

IMG-20120209-00117.jpg

Deeper pan as you can see.
IMG-20120209-00118.jpg

Different size output shaft.
IMG-20120209-00120.jpg
Hope this helps a few of you.

Here is the 46RH (a518). Took a picture of it on the pallet at the bone yard.
Its only a half inch longer then the 42rh(a500). Otherwise it looked the same for the most part.
IMG-20120208-00107.jpg

Hope this helps a few of you.

great pics thanks AnotherA! To the best of my knowledge, any of the 40R series trans' require tunnel surgery in an A-body right?

Have to make a new transmission mount and do some massaging of the torsion bar cross brace.

Not sure about the tunnel itself. I will soon find out.

not sure why they gave the A500 a 2 torque rating, mine gets about 450 ft/lbs jolted through it and lives to tell about it lol

No floor cutting needed,small dimple for governor test port.Removed the support going around the tunnel and cut and moved the left inside cross member mount in about an inch to clear the o/d housing.In the process of reattaching the torsion bar mount to the floor structure.I have made the cross member out of square tubing and 1/4 plate to bolt the transmission mount.trying to figure out the photo thing i will get pics when i figure it out.

I think the '2' rating has more to do with the total clutch surface in the tranny than it has to do with the hard parts. The OD clutch, OD Direct Clutch, and Direct Clutch are all upgradeable to more clutch discs, giving it the ability to handle much more torque. I've not been able to find the specs on a 44RH, but I suspect it's identical to the 42Rh, but with more clutch discs.

No how, no way on an Early A, I couldnt even fit the HD 904 truck rear housing in my tunnel. But the later A's may have the girth. A friend put a beefed AOD in his stroked 408 Cleveland 67 Mustang and loves it. .67 overdrive!

I ran the numbers today. With the 2.76 gears and 26" tires I can run 81mph in 4th gear at 2k rpm.

I think its time to look into changing gears.

-
Back