906 head spring seat machining

-

Darren

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
hey guys is .050 to .060 ok to machine off of the valve spring seat? i am using #911 comp springs thanks

I don't ever recommend removing any material from the spring seat. The head is very thin in that area. Get retainers with a different offset. That's the correct way.

who makes bb 7 deg steel retainers that will hive me .060 more installed height? thanks

Heck if I know. I am sure Comp probably does. It's something you're gonna have to get in the catalog and find.

Comp, Manley, crower, crane, Isky, Howard's, Hughes, Lunati...take your pick. I don't know the part numbers off the top, but if you go through Summit, you can find the ones you need...or you could call COMP and tell them what you need and what you're working with.

i think i found some from Crane. they state the retainers will add .100 of spring height. that would be perfect i could shim the spring to spec. Only thing i do not know will the fact that the retainer is spaced up .100 interfere with the rocker arm? the engine is a 68 383 with stock rockers. thanks

just wondering... if Crane states there retainer adds .100 to the installed, how do they know what ( make / model) heads i am using. or is most stock retainers have a std size. thanks

hey guys is .050 to .060 ok to machine off of the valve spring seat? i am using #911 comp springs thanks

What exactly are your trying to achieve? Is the spring in coil bind at max lift? If your just shooting for a spec installed height you may not need to do anything. Are you running .650" lift?

What exactly are your trying to achieve? Is the spring in coil bind at max lift? If your just shooting for a spec installed height you may not need to do anything. Are you running .650" lift?

i am installing #911 comp springs in my rebuilt 906 heads. they call for 1.900 installed height.
after i installed the springs and measured i got 1.83 to 1.86
so i have to do somthing to increase the spring height. i was thinking of gaining .100 with the retianers and then shiming the spring to 1.900 the cam is a MP 458 lift. thanks

I don't know how everybody else feels, but my thought on it is, slap um on and go like you are. Unless you have coil bind, piss on it, you're fine. You need to remember, after break in, your springs will lose around 10% of their pressure, so if you're a tad tighter on installed height, who gives a crap? As long as you aren't coil binding or have too much pressure on the valve train (which you will not), you are good to go. I say sling it together.

Stick them on and go. It's fine. If you chose to have the heads done properly in the future you can look at itthen. I wouldn't care about .040 less isntalled height. It's got another .200" before coil bind, and we're probably talking about less than 30 pounds more on the seat and over the nose. I'd be much more concerned if the stem heights differed by .040". If they're good - run it.

-
Back