91 Jeep Cherokee

-

Sussmad

Reaction score
never had a Jeep: has the 4.0 . 73k miles; some rust on one rocker; needs exhaust work, just a muffler he says and rear brake line. Haven't gotten up there to see or drive it. Asking $2000, too much? what should I be looking or listening for other than rust? Thanks

I had two '92's. Wish they still made them. I wouldn't necessarily buy it if it isn't a 4X4.

Had good luck with my '89. It succumbed to computer issues at the ripe old age of 13. Even then when it ran, it ran great. Thing had shorty "tube" headers on it from the factory. It got an exhaust leak while under warrantee, took it in, 4 weeks to get a replacement header for it. "Give me that" I says. Took it to the shop, drilled the ends of the cracks, MIGed that sucker up, gave it back to them. "Do you think you could do that again? We get a lot of these" they asked me. :rofl:

Buy it. That 4.0 is a great motor. I have had 2.

Got rid of one with 272,000.

The other 180,00 ish.

Great package. My only issues-throttle position sensor. Distributor bearing crapped. Center link broke oddly enough. That’s it.

5 speed about 20 mpg highway.

Anything Jeep with the 4.0 Is tank and a badass. They never shouldda quit makin that engine. Stupidest thing they ever did.

My only issues-throttle position sensor

Me too. 2 different trans shops said it needed a new trans. 3rd shop, the sketchy one said "it's the TPS $50 part and 2 hours you're outa here". Ex's boss bought a new Range Rover while the Cherokee was still young, he wanted to see what the Rover would do. Jeep smoked him and his Rover :rofl:

Bought a 1992 4.0 two-wheel drive Jeep Cherokee in the year 2000 from the original owners for $2000. Still use it for our spare vehicle, has about 230,000 miles on it and still going strong. Last year, replaced the tail pipe, now it needs a new muffler. The clear coat on the factory paint is peeling off. We recently converted the A/C to the newer refrigerant. Otherwise, good transportation.

We later purchased a 2001 4.0 (the last year the these older Cherokee models were manufactured) four-wheel drive and still keep it as a daily driver. We find the '92 burns less gas and has fewer computer engine check light problems than the 2001.

Here in Mexico they are extremely popular and one can count 10 - 20 of 'em driving around town in the course of five minutes or so. Seems they never die. Just recently we have been seeing more and more of the older Ford Explorers driving around.

Actually we have had no less than three other Cherokees, one was a four cylinder 5-speed that I really liked.

Last edited:
My wife has had two of them 1991 I bought new and drove for 267,000, Sold it at the buy here pay here I worked at. The girl that bought drove it past 355,000. Only issue that one had was U-joints. Then bought a 2003 with 10k miles, drove it to 160,000 sold it to a friend for his daughter in 2010, still going. both were 4.0. What more can you ask of a vehicle?

I've had two of them the 1998 one I sold it at 2 hundred and fifty thousand the guy still driving it.

The second one a 95 has over 275,000 on it now. The transmission went Goofy on me at that point and it's sitting in my barn waiting for me to get to it. It only has 1st and rev right now I think it is the valve body. Cuz everything was working fine then I don't know how I just dropped out of high gear and when it's cold I have all the gears. I'm assuming it is the solenoids on the valve body.
Both of them have the 4 liter.

Look for rust in the frame over the back axle.

We drove our Jeeps to well over 300,000 before we gave them to our kids. The first thing our son in law did with the Sport was smoke the tires. It didn't last too long after that.

We had issues with temp sensor. Also they needed new rear mains about every 120,000. If it gets the death wobble don't start throwing money into it until you replace the damper.
The auto trans is almost indestructible.
Ours never used oil, except for rear main leak. When we got rid of them they still got the same fuel mileage as new. A touch over 18 mpg.
The first time my wife drove it, she drove it like it was her old Grand Am. Put it on two wheels going around a curve. After that she developed a healthy respect for it.
They are great in snow.

If I remember correctly, there was a segment on a 20/20 program or one of those other 'magazine' type TV shows years and years ago where they drove the Cherokees (or may have been the smaller Jeep CJ5) without driver's by remote control. They were showing how easily they roll over on flat curves at low speeds. They do have a somewhat higher center of gravity, but we drive ours conservatively (except on the straightaways sometimes).

Last edited:
The newer 2015 Grand Cherokees (not the subject of this thread) were made with a screwed up and dangerous "new" gear selector. I think engineers are taking this idea of converting every system to electronic functions is going way too far, and in this case, deadly. Star Trek actor's death:

Last edited:
never had a Jeep: has the 4.0 . 73k miles; some rust on one rocker; needs exhaust work, just a muffler he says and rear brake line. Haven't gotten up there to see or drive it. Asking $2000, too much? what should I be looking or listening for other than rust? Thanks

rocker rust and exhaust work? is it 4x4 oe 2wd ? 2k sounds too high to me.. where are you located? there are tons of clean ones in my area still...

my opinion is if you want a cherokee you are better off with a 97-99 model year.

i paid $2600 for 2000 cherokee in 2015. has over 200,000 miles on it but no rust anywhere on it was stock as they come.....

4-30-15 (3).JPG

have done a few mods since i bought it..:)

DSC_0115.JPG

Last edited:
last summer i had bought this 25,000 mile 2wd cherokee for $3000. this this was spotless inside and out.... sold it for $4500..

DSC_0022.JPG

I had friends that had a fetish for School Bus Yellow. Their wreckers were yellow, the A100 was yellow, the really unique Baja Bug was yellow. They wouldn't accept School Bus Yellow, it was Chrome Yellow :rofl:. Looked great with their big red and gold leaf shop emblems on them.

Almost forgot. The short wheelbase A100 had a 440 in it. One of the perks of having a tow service and a CHP towing contract. 440 was a refugee from an early 70s CHP Monaco. That sucker would smoke the L60s for blocks and still get 23mpg towing their race buggie. I had thoughts of getting a Comanche with a 4.0 in it, too many projects already. The 2wd model, I like the tube axle under there :lol:

rocker rust and exhaust work? is it 4x4 oe 2wd ? 2k sounds too high to me.. where are you located? there are tons of clean ones in my area still...

my opinion is if you want a cherokee you are better off with a 97-99 model year.

i paid $2600 for 2000 cherokee in 2015. has over 200,000 miles on it but no rust anywhere on it was stock as they come.....

View attachment 1715143281

have done a few mods since i bought it..:)

View attachment 1715143282
Nice mods! it is a 4X4. I am in MA but get down to NJ occasionally, grew up in Essex County

D94E2088-FB5A-4F1B-9006-551ACB0B3267.jpeg

I got my 1989 Cherokee about 12 years ago from my father in law when my sister in law totaled it. She blew thru a stop sign and a car hit the side of the front bumper and ripped the front end off. It had 150,000 miles on it then. I figured since it had 4X4 in it, maybe I could make it into a yard vehicle. After finishing removal of damaged pieces, I saw that a new fender, grille and bumper was really all it needed. I drove it every day to Camden (24 miles each way) for 2 years and it was pretty good. I put a snow plow on the front for about $500 (eBay used). They say that you can’t put a snowplow on the Cherokees because they don’t have full frames, but mine has been no issue. I modified a front-end hitch receiver kit to mount the plow.

For the last 8 years, it only gets driven about 1 mile a year, but it starts right up every snow season. I just keep a battery charger on it all year. Thanks to fuel injection, it always cranks on the first try. I have about 187,000 on it now and the only issue is the Bendix anti-lock brakes since it doesn’t get used enough. The brake hydraulic pump does have a lifetime warranty on it by the factory due to first year issues. The local dealer already replaced the pump once for free.

-
Back