91 Octane in a 340?

-

trivium91

Reaction score
Im wondering if I can run 91 octane, so far I've just been running 94 but it's expensive and harder to find in my area. The engine is mostly stock from what I understand, so 10.5: 1 pistons pre 1971 with X heads. Though im not sure of the cam but I believe it's a COMP XE284 high lift but might be XE268 aswell. I have a Edelbrock AVS2 800 Carb I believe aswell. I just checked the timing and its set at about 33 degrees @2500RPM. The cam definitely has more duration than stock though and it's lumpy at idle. Would a cam with a longer duration bleed off more cylinder pressure and allow advanced timing or lower octane gas, or am I not understanding something?

Given the fact that these stock 340's were underrated in the power, I've heard that the stock 275HP was rated at a lower RPM and the actual power was actually around 330hp. Regardless, these engines came with 10.5:1 compression from the factory according to specs, what octane were these cars running with from the factory? I can't imagine it was over 91.

What does engine pinging/knocking feel like? Just a temporary loss of power for a split second, or similar to a misfire?

Im wondering if I can run 91 octane, so far I've just been running 94 but it's expensive and harder to find in my area. The engine is mostly stock from what I understand, so 10.5: 1 pistons pre 1971 with X heads. Though im not sure of the cam but I believe it's a COMP XE284 high lift but might be XE268 aswell. I have a Edelbrock AVS2 800 Carb I believe aswell. I just checked the timing and its set at about 33 degrees @2500RPM. The cam definitely has more duration than stock though and it's lumpy at idle. Would a cam with a longer duration bleed off more cylinder pressure and allow advanced timing or lower octane gas, or am I not understanding something?

Given the fact that these stock 340's were underrated in the power, I've heard that the stock 275HP was rated at a lower RPM and the actual power was actually around 330hp. Regardless, these engines came with 10.5:1 compression from the factory according to specs, what octane were these cars running with from the factory? I can't imagine it was over 91.

What does engine pinging/knocking feel like? Just a temporary loss of power for a split second, or similar to a misfire?
It's been awhile since I had a car that detonated, but iirc it sounds kind of like shaking a can of spray paint.

It's been awhile since I had a car that detonated, but iirc it sounds kind of like shaking a can of spray paint.
Hmm, do you feel it at all? Or is it a simple question of you cannot miss it? Sorry I was wrong about the carb, its actually a 650 CFM AVS2

If it's a stock engine compression wise, it's not a true 10.5. None of them were what they were advertised as. They all blueprint lower than advertised, because of taller than spec deck heights and larger than spec chambers. Its true ratio is probably down in the 9s so I wouldn't hesitate to run 91. If it rattles, you can always go back to the 94 but I doubt it will.

Hmm, do you feel it at all? Or is it a simple question of you cannot miss it? Sorry I was wrong about the carb, its actually a 650 CFM AVS2
Yes, the power usually falls off when one spark knocks.

If it's a stock engine compression wise, it's not a true 10.5. None of them were what they were advertised as. They all blueprint lower than advertised, because of taller than spec deck heights and larger than spec chambers. Its true ratio is probably down in the 9s so I wouldn't hesitate to run 91. If it rattles, you can always go back to the 94 but I doubt it will.
The previous owner was far more knowledgeable and experienced than me, he said he ran 91 octane though he did not drive/own the car much before he sold it. He said it should scream on 94, but realistically I understand that if the car doesn't need it, it won't run any different and it's just a waste of money. 94 octane just provides extra Knock resistance. This 340 has a roller cam aswell, though that shouldn't matter. I know my old 360 with Aluminum heads and Keith black pistons in the Volare had some 10.5:1 compression, though again no way to measure. Sometimes it would miss in the upper registers and the power would Dropoff momentarily, so I guess this what I should be looking for?

On a side note, is it true that the 340 was pushing far more than 275HP in its stock form? The articles I read suggest that it was closer to 330hp, though who knows. I suspect with the cam I have, carb and headers I should be close to 380Hp or so.

The previous owner was far more knowledgeable and experienced than me, he said he ran 91 octane though he did not drive/own the car much before he sold it. He said it should scream on 94, but realistically I understand that if the car doesn't need it, it won't run any different and it's just a waste of money. 94 octane just provides extra Knock resistance. This 340 has a roller cam aswell, though that shouldn't matter. I know my old 360 with Aluminum heads and Keith black pistons in the Volare had some 10.5:1 compression, though again no way to measure. Sometimes it would miss in the upper registers and the power would Dropoff momentarily, so I guess this what I should be looking for?
Well yeah, that probably does matter. That roller probably has more duration than a similar flat tappet and that will decrease cylinder pressure making it more easy to run on a lower octane. If you run a compression test and get the cranking pressure numbers, that can give you more information.

Well yeah, that probably does matter. That roller probably has more duration than a similar flat tappet and that will decrease cylinder pressure making it more easy to run on a lower octane. If you run a compression test and get the cranking pressure numbers, that can give you more information.
Cool, I will purchase a pressure gauge, I should have one handy anyways.

Inlet air temp, combustion efficiency, timing, and carb tune all can effect detonation. If you run 91 you may just need to back off the timing some and/or work on the carb tuning. If it get hot where you live then run 94 durring the hotter months as a margin of safety. Fresh air ducts to the air cleaner help a lot too so you're not ingesting hot engine bay air.

Last edited:
Regardless, these engines came with 10.5:1 compression from the factory according to specs, what octane were these cars running with from the factory? I can't imagine it was over 91.
I'm sure it was much higher. When I was in High School a lot of muscle cars Used Sunoco 101 Octane.

not a mopar of course but my old '66 big block fairlane ran fine on the cheap stuff but pinked when towing our caravan. i simply filled with the good stuff when towing, simple.
neil.

not a mopar of course but my old '66 big block fairlane ran fine on the cheap stuff but pinked when towing our caravan. i simply filled with the good stuff when towing, simple.
neil.
I guess I’m concerned that I will drive and damage the engine without noticing it. Though it sounds like you can definitely feel pinging, its pretty hard to ignore.

If you don’t have your tunes blasting you should be able to hear the engine knocking/pinging. It will be most noticeable on a hot day and when going up a hill giving the car some gas. When I was setting my timing, I would take the car for a drive and mat it going up a steep hill to listen for it pinging/knocking. If it did, I’d then back off the timing a bit and try again up the hill.

I use 94 (Chevron) since it’s the only brand/rating that does NOT contain ethanol. The Shell Nitro 93 likely contains ethanol since the pumps do not state ‘contains no ethanol’. The Chevron 94 pumps state ‘contains no ethanol’. I know there are more and more Chevrons popping up in Calgary but not sure if there are many in Edmonton? Yes you pay more the the 94 but I’m ok with that since it’s pure gasoline (and ethanol is proven to attract water/turn to sludge over time and which doesn’t help keep internal passageways clean).

A few things..

If it doesn't knock (unless you have a really noisy exhost you will hear it) you can try different blends.

drive it with 94 till it's almost empty.
1 to 2 gallons in the tank.

Fill it 1/2 way with 91. Do some drive testing. No ping your good to go, if not add 3 gallons of 94 now you have 92 to 93, no ping you know the blend needs to be a 50% 94 and 50% 91 mix.

It can take some effort to keep the mix but it can be done.

BTW that's how the gas pumps make the middle grade thew blend high and low in some percentage.

My 2006 grand caravan 3.1? Needs the middle grade. Under load it pings it's heads off on the lower grade.

Lastly...

Summer vs winter blends and your altitude can make a difference

I have had a few cars knock on me, if you ever heard a late 90's/early 00's GM start up, they get a knock on the first cylinder to fire almost always, it's that very metallic rattle. Now newer cars with direct injection knock on startup, it's very annoying. Low-speed pre-ignition - Wikipedia
Had a lot of knocking in a Chevy Corvair that I have, especially on hot days.

Do a compression test. For reference, my "10.5:1 CR" 340 (actual measured CR of 9.6:1) cranks at 165 psi and runs fine on 91 octane pump piss.

if there is only one nozzle at the gas pump your probably getting around one gallon of whatever the previous customers octane choice was. if he bought 89 octane before you show up to fill up with 94 octane your gonna get 1 gallon of 89 octane with ethanol. so if your serious you can sit around and watch what fuel grade is purchased at the pumps by previous customers before you pull up to fill up.

if there is only one nozzle at the gas pump your probably getting around one gallon of whatever the previous customers octane choice was. if he bought 89 octane before you show up to fill up with 94 octane your gonna get 1 gallon of 89 octane with ethanol. so if your serious you can sit around and watch what fuel grade is purchased at the pumps by previous customers before you pull up to fill up.
Nope. Chevron has a separate hose and nozzle for the 94. The 87, 89 and 91 have the same nozzle and hose so you won’t get a full tank of 91 if the previous person pumped 87.

I've read it's more like a 1/3 gal in shared pump fuel hoses, which means it would lower 10 gals of purchased 91 octane to 90.9 if the hose was previously filled with 87 oct.

My 69' 340 was rebuilt to stock specs,all original.91 octane nebraska gas and the engine runs fine, no ping.
however for fun, I mix 2 gallons of 108 in the tank every once in a while,,just for entertainment. That Dart loves that!( 8.00 per gallon)

An engine can detonate in the higher RPM's when cylinder pressure is way up and you won't hear it.

Cylinder pressure is a much better indicator as to if you need to run a hi-octane or not. This is what the engine actually sees versus an abstract number that has very little usefulness in reality.

The Compression ratio formula reads;
(CV +cv)/ cv , where CV is the swept volume, and and cv is the total chamber volume. all are in EITHER cc or cubic inches, Generally ccs are used, do not mix units.
So a stock340 has a swept volume of 696.364cc
And the typical total-chamber volume, with an .039 headgasket, is gonna come in at around 81cc, so that makes her a 9.6Scr engine.

In Edmonton, at some 2130ft elevation, you can take a 10.5Scr 340engine, which in reality is likely closer to 9.6Scr as shown above, , and just by changing when the intake valve closes, vary the pressure from say 152psi, down to 124psi, or even less.
>With open chamber iron heads;
At 140psi or lower, you should be able to run 87E10 in it no problem.
at 150psi, probably still on 87, but the low-rpm/hi load may say otherwise at your early all-in timing setting.
at 155psi, for sure needs 89 (or better)
At 160psi, 91 is getting iffy. The power-timing may have to be delayed or reduced. Your engine is not likely gonna like the current 33* @2500, unless the stall speed is over that, and the chamber temperature is kept in check.
at 165psi, everything has to be just right to get away with 91, and more likely is that the timing is gonna take a hit.
<But notice that it's still a 9.6Scr engine.>

In Edmonton, at 2130ft elevation, your stock Hi compression 340 longblock, with a 268Plus roller cam, is gonna be down on pressure, so
I very much agree with those who recommend to do a compression test.
Pressure makes heat, makes power...... so long as full-timing can be used, which on an iron-headed 340 is usually 36>38 degrees, after 3600rpm.

I wonder if you are fixated a lil too much on the power numbers.
On the street, using just two gears, 250 hp is plenty to have fun with, because you can adjust the output with gears and stall. However 2130ft elevation is already about a 10 psi handicap from sealevel, which you can definitely feel.
On the street, you are very seldom gonna see max-power in Second gear, unless you are running an automatic, and 3.91s or better, and don't mind speeding.
IMO, with a noisy exhaust system, it is as good as impossible to hear detonation. But you can devise a test for it, and if severe enough you will for sure feel the hammering going on under the hood.

As for the test:
The test is just a time trial over a measured, distance or speed range. But you gotta load the engine up to prevent tire spin, and at some rpm after the mechanical timing is all-in, and your method has to be repeatable, To that end, if an automatic trans is used, use Second Gear, all by it self. I use the speedOmeter, from whatever speed 3500 in Second gear is, to at whatever rpm the cam peaks at, plus 200 or so.
Say you have 3.73s; 3500 will be ~45 mph, and 5600 will be ~75 mph. So make the test from 45 to 75.
For the following tests,
>if at any time, the car slows down, abort the testing. A slow-down can only mean ONE thing, namely, that the engine lost power. And that would most likely be, but does not have to be, because of detonation. But in any case, we don't want to go slower.
> also, repeat all tests at least twice and average the results.

Set your power-timing to 33*@3500.
Get a helper with a stopwatch in the backseat looking over your shoulder, then motor up to 40mph in Second, then floor it. When the Speed-O needle crosses 45, the helper starts the timer and when the needle crosses 75, the helper stops the timer. You watch the stinking road, lol. This will be your baseline.
>Now reset your Power-timing to 31*@3500, and repeat the test. If we're losing power, it will take longer. This is to be expected at just 31*..
Next, reset your Power-timing to 35*@3500; and repeat the test . If the car is making more power the time will be less, good news, we can move forward.
One more time; reset the Power-Timing to 37* at 3500 , and repeat the test. If the time is longer, do not repeat the test for a second time. Go back to 35*, and call it done.
BUT

If the time is again less, repeat it a second time and average the results. If still quicker than it was at 35*, Then Stop the test, lets not push our luck, ......37* is your magic POWER-TIMING number, on this day, with whatever gas was in the tank, at this location.
Now;
I want you to compare the averaged times very carefully. because the times should be very short, and closely spaced, within a second or so from quickest to slowest not including the one at 31*..which is why you need a helper for consistency.
But the point is this;
compare the times at 33*, to the times at whatever best, that you got. Now ask yourself this:
Is it worth it to you, to run on the ragged edge of detonation, to get that portion of a second quicker? If you answer yes, then, IMO you need to reconfigure your 340, or you need a different engine, lol.

Ok then, now that your power-timing is figured, you can tune the timing from idle to 3500........ And then the Vcan, and ten the cruise-timing....... lol
If at any time you change mainjets or PVs, or Scr, or pressure, or your heads, etc, then you gotta revisit your timings, all of them, starting with the Power-Timing..........
Happy HotRodding.

Last edited:
Running 91 because it is 'cheaper' can be counterproductive in two ways:
- it could destroy the engine through detonation
- ign timing has to be retarded to stop pinging [ detonation ], which reduces power AND fuel efficiency. You can use cheaper fuel, but use more it.....

With an engine like this that has a question mark about it's history & internal components, I would use the highest octane pump fuel I could get & tune the engine. Listen for pinging. If none, then try a lower octane fuel. You can do a compression test but it will NOT tell you whether THIS engine will work with THAT fuel. There are many, many variables that will affect whether an engine pings & that is why you are going to here stories like this: my 9:1 engine pings on 9. My 10.5:1 engine runs fine on 91....

Running 91 because it is 'cheaper' can be counterproductive in two ways:
- it could destroy the engine through detonation
- ign timing has to be retarded to stop pinging [ detonation ], which reduces power AND fuel efficiency. You can use cheaper fuel, but use more it.....

With an engine like this that has a question mark about it's history & internal components, I would use the highest octane pump fuel I could get & tune the engine. Listen for pinging. If none, then try a lower octane fuel. You can do a compression test but it will NOT tell you whether THIS engine will work with THAT fuel. There are many, many variables that will affect whether an engine pings & that is why you are going to here stories like this: my 9:1 engine pings on 9. My 10.5:1 engine runs fine on 91....
All this from someone whose toilet flushes backwards. LOL

-
Back