92 Cummins cold weather mods

-

dodgetkboy78

EDELBROCK HEADS SUCK!
Reaction score
Two people have asked now, so I guess I'll do a quick thread. As some of you may know, I work my Cummins diesel pretty hard, and run back and forth from Anchorage, to Prudhoe Bay, piloting, and hauling. Because the stock heater/fuel system doesn't cut it, and may let you down, here are a few things I have done....

Auxilary heater behind the seat, also I have a little bed that goes behind the seat, sits on the jump seats. Aux heater is plumbed after the main heater, Y's don't work in the cold.
Synthetic oil in everything, including bearing grease.
Stacks to keep the monoxide and smell away when idling.
The stacks, come out of a 6" square tubing, in the bed, behind it, is a 35 gallon auxilary tank. In the winter, there is a screw on aluminum cover, that goes between them, keeps the fuel in the aux tank warm for transfer. At -40, even #1 will gel up in a 3/8 fuel line. There is an air fitting on the tank, in case I need air to push fuel in that has gelled up in the transfer line. Air comes from the onboard compressor that runs the splitter and countershaft brake on the transmission. All transfer lines are insulated.
There is a marine oil cooler in the heater hoses, after the aux heater. It is working in reverse, instead of cooling oil, it is heating fuel, the fuel is also pre-heated by extra lines that run along the engine block.
Main fuel tank, has a blanket that goes on in the winter, besides keeping the fuel warm, it protects the tank in case of a rock or something hits it in the cold, that could damage the plastic tank.
Winter front, of course.
Lots of lights to look cool, and for visibility when parked in a blow.
pac Brake has a bypass so you can idle engine up, and leave the EX brake on. at -30, even a 1300rpm idle without the brake will drop the temp under 120F.
Synthetic grease in the Ujoints, so the caps dont spin the the straps. :-D
Lower radiator hose gets an insulation cover, so it doesn't blow from being too cold, all hoses are goodyear arctic, except for the upper hose.
Thermostat has two extra bleed holed drilled in it, do it always has coolant flowing through radiator, so when the the stat comes open it doesn't give a huge rush of below zero coolant into the engine..........

:)

I'm sure I forgot something.

Even with the winterfront I'm surprised you can keep the engine up to temperature with the extra bleed hole you in the thermostat. I understand the concept but with coolant flowing thru the cool radiator it seems it would be hard to keep it up to 180deg or higher unless you were always pulling with it hard.

Sounds like you run an auxilary transmission, something like a 3 speed brownie box?

We run Racor fuel heaters on our plow trucks at work and some have coolant heaters plumbed inside the fuel tanks, however these are Freightliners with aluminum tanks. They also wrap the external fuel lines in foam insulation.

Thanks for the info.! I was wondering if they actually did any, under hood fuel syst. mods?

You forgot a pic of the beast!!! Holy crap that sounds like a lotta work Here in Az Im lucky enough to just plug my cummins in at night during the winter

There are pics in the any mopar pics thread here..

Really nothing needs to be done under the hood, I also have a drip pan/blanket that goes under the truck, I use it when weather is REAL bad and the snow is blowing.
With the extra bleed holes in the stat, you only notice a difference when it is idling low, but the temp doesn't drop to nothing when the Tstat opens like it does with the normal Tstat.

The EX brake does a fine job of keeping the engine warm. At 1100RPM, it will stay at operating temp, at -70, with the egt at 450. *burning .60GPH*

I don't have a aux tranny, I now have an RTO610 in it... :-D:-D I had the compressor before though, air is nice. But the Cummins puts out to much power to use the getrag/NV5600 for very long. The Getrag is actually the toughest of them all, when it comes to lasting. The RTO also helps keeping traction pulling hills, and I LOVE the extra low reverse.... And, I doubt very many could steal my truck now! HAHAHAHAHA

I have a few underhood fuel system mods, aux spin on fuel filter (that has a pre-heater in it also, told you I forgot something), injector pump soup-ups, Tim Worlines "cooler tubes" on the air to air, I use the stock air filter, but have cut in open to expose the element to the engine compartment, so it doesn't suck from the grill and get clogged with snow. Gosh, IDK, maybe this winter, I'll take a bunch of pics, LOL, it's kinda a one of a kind unique old truck, 411,000 miles and all........ 8)

Thermostat has two extra bleed holed drilled in it, do it always has coolant flowing through radiator, so when the the stat comes open it doesn't give a huge rush of below zero coolant into the engine..........

[/QUOTE]

What does having extra bleed hole in the thermostat do? I'm having a major problem with my Thermostat, I am using a lot of coolant and every time the coolant disappears, and I have no idea where its going.

What does having extra bleed hole in the thermostat do? I'm having a major problem with my thermostat, I am using a lot of coolant and every time the coolant disappears, and I have no idea where its going.[/QUOTE]

The extra holes allow more coo;lant to flow past the thermostat into the radiator and keeps the coolant in the radiator warmer. The purpose of this I believe to keep the coolant in the radiator from "cold" falshing the block when the thermostat opens. You would have to realize that he is operating his truch in like -40 degree temps.

Tell us about you vehicle first before we can take a guess where your coolant might be going??????

-
Back