93 Ramcharger help

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 93 Ramcharger 5.2 magnum A518 trans. Well it runs good for the most part, but in rainy or misty weather it will have a noticble performance decline and it will backfire all over the place if the rpm's get too high. I thought it was a bad cap, so it did cap/rotor/plugs wires. Ran great until the next time it rained and started to do the loss of power and backfiring again. Any suggestions on where to look to fix this. I bought the truck for my winter vehicle, and it needs to be fixed.
Thanks!

Check the igntion coil,spray it with water and see if it's arking,also cap and wires,i have seen after market stuff bad right out of the box

What demonmike70 said! My 99 Ram 1500 use to die when it rained. Had to put dielectric grease on the connector to fix it. Used to just plain die trying ot get it through a car wash!!!!! I've notice with mine that if it is foggy out overnight, everything in the engine compartment has condensation on it too!

My 99 Ram did the same thing. I did cap,rotor,wires and plugs. It was fine after that.

Ok, thanks. I did the cap, rotor, plugs and wires and it still did it. I will do a coil tonight and hope it fixes it. Thanks again

I did a cap/rotor/plugs/wires and coil. was doing great, put about 200 miles on it and started doing it again. It is not raining out at all today. Sunny and dry. Went to 5 different stores and when leaving the last, it had the sputters and backfires again. Where/ what else can I try?

Try waiting for a dark rainy night. Start it and pop the hood, look for a light show around the ignition system.

Are the connections tight and clean on the fuel pump? How bout ignition system connections? Use a multi meter and measure voltage drop.

How do the plugs look? They have some miles on them now, pull them one by one and inspect for fouling. What are they gapped at?

Go ahead and replace the airfilter for the hell of it.

Check all sensor voltage readings with a multimeter and see if they're in spec. For that matter is it throwing any codes? Do you know how to pull codes? You dont need a scanner to do it.

My buddy says with the engine off hose the engine down, pull the distributor cap and check for moisture.

I have only had this truck 3 weeks and it was in terrible disrepair when I got it. The cap was broken and wires were melted to the manifold. I did the cap/rototor/wires and plugs. run good. I noticed the coil was also cracked, so I replaced it too. I don't know about the fuel pump. There is a reciept showing it was repaced, but the gauge is WAY off, so I will be putting one in there soon. The oil was so dirty and thick, after having 600 miles on it it needs to be changed again soon, it's dirty again. I did hoses, t-stat, flush radiator, new suspension components etc... The truck really is running good, except for the sputter, miss and backfire every 2-300 miles.
I noticed that after it does it, the next day it has no more problems. I kind think it may be fuel related or the pump is sucking something into the pickup and after it shuts down, releases it from the tube and runs good again.

Read the engine codes via MIL light. Usually done by on and off of the ignition, then 3rd time leave on and count blinks. Count blinks, separated by longer pauses. Not sure about 93, seek info in user manual. Codes can often be found online, and are fairly standard for Mopar.

-
Back