94 jeep 318 in my 76????

-

snowcrow

2 Time dart owner
Reaction score
I've been offered a 94 jeep cherokee 318 for the price of "get it out of my shop and its yours". its fuel injected and has problems so it WILL need a rebuild. can i even put this motor in my car let alone use it with my darts slant 6 tranny???

Yes it will fit fine in your car but you need to get a small block V8 tranny the slant one won't work

snowcrow, if you are not going to use the EFI stuff, and you can get the harnesses, computer, etc I might be interested in the fuel system.

its motor only sadly sorry 67dart273. i know i need to change the k frame but its good to know about the tranny. ive been lookin into transmissions cause my dart doesnt have a freeway gear right now so that should be fine. does a 318 swap require alot of new wiring? its not a big deal to me if it does cause the car could use new wires.

oh and i think im gonna just do a 2bbl carb to start, dont care much for efi even though i know its much better for winter and more reliable and better gas mileage.

its motor only sadly sorry 67dart273. i know i need to change the k frame but its good to know about the tranny. ive been lookin into transmissions cause my dart doesnt have a freeway gear right now so that should be fine. does a 318 swap require alot of new wiring? its not a big deal to me if it does cause the car could use new wires.

i didnt change any wiring with my /6 to LA 318. not sure on that one. i imagine you are going to need a car pan and pickup tube.

I think a small 4-bbl. will be more worth your time. Especially since the Magnum engines have a different intake manifold bolt angle so an old-school 2-bbl. LA intake won't bolt up anyway. It will be difficult in cold weather though since Magnum engines also don't have an exhaust crossover to heat up the intake. I built a 360 with Magnum heads and got one of those factory 4-bbl. dual snorkel air cleaners with the hot-air induction so it will at least get some heat when it's cold outside.

Oh and +1 on the oil pan and pickup...

since its a newer motor, shouldn't it already have a pickup tube? is it a good idea to use a screen or is it mandatory on the tube?

I drive a 96 jeep with the 318. Their are many of these in junkyards so finding a harness wouldn't be hard. They make one hell of a stroker motor.

What does stroker mean? I hear it a lot and how can I tell if the motor I got is a 318?

since its a newer motor, shouldn't it already have a pickup tube? is it a good idea to use a screen or is it mandatory on the tube?

Yes, it will have a pickup tube, but its for the wrong oil pan. The Cherokee engine will have a rear sump pan which won't fit your Dart.

There's quite a few threads on swapping /6's to v8's, I just did it on my Duster. A quick list:

/6 to small block v8 conversion engine mounts (or new K member)
small block 904 transmission and shift linkage (or sb bell if manual)
exhaust system
v8 radiator (inlet/outlet are different)
Car oil pan and pickup (for truck v8 )

Wire harness will work, you may need to extend a few wires, no big deal. I didn't have to extend any of mine, but I did have to unwrap part of the harness and retape it to get the wires in the right spot.

This assumes the v8 is coming with all of its accessories. If its not, you'll need new pulleys, mounts and belts. The alternator and power steering pump can be reused, but you'll need v8 mounting brackets.

Your car also has /6 torsion bars, which will physically work, but realistically they were too small for the /6. A set of V8 bars at the least should be swapped in, although I'm a fan of 1" torsion bars on A bodies.

Brakes. If you've got 9" drums, you'll want to upgrade. If you increase your horsepower, you should increase your stopping power.

Rear axle. If you've got a 7 1/4" rear, you'll have to be really nice to it with a rebuilt v8 if you want it to last. And if you change the rear, you'll have to shorten the driveshaft.

Obviously, the torsion bars, brakes, and rear end aren't mandatory to get your car on the road. But, they're all things that should also be upgraded at some point, otherwise your new V8 car will handle and stop worse than your /6 car did, and will soon need a new rear end to replace the busted 7 1/4".

fuel pump is a problem as well. It was electric on the jeep and the motor is not set up mechanical. It can be added but you need parts, or just buy an electric pump.

I used the Professional Products intake 4bbl manifold which is drilled for either the old heads or the new magnum heads. Some people don't like it but it's a knockoff of the rpm airgap for less and fits both style heads.

Check the passenger side of the motor, just below the head, near the back of the side ( near the trans ) for a stamping of the motor size. I am ( someday ) putting in my 5.9 magnum ( FI ) into my 71 Demon, along with the 46RE OD trans. Should be quite fun :D

j

-
Back