96 ram drum removal

-

slimjim

Reaction score
alright I have just about had it with the rear drums on my 96 ram 1500. I've gone all over online looking for a way to get them off. the service manual simply says..."remove rear drums." They WILL NOT BUDGE. Online people said to look for an access hole on the plate behind the drum but there is no hole. I've looked in the service manual and it doesnt show any kind of hole (to release the breaks). I have already tried BFH and that didnt work either. they only thing i can think of is to tourch it and contunue using the BFH. Is there something im missing? :banghead:

probably a silly question but did you release the park brake ?
There should be access to the self adjusters somewhere , either a rubber plug in the backing plate or a knock out preformed in the front of the drum.
There is residual pressure in most antilock brake systems also. You can pump the brake pedal about 20 times and use up that pressure, or just crack the bleeders and let it run off.

yes the parking brake was off haha. And i swear there is no access hole. there is a rubber seal over a hole ontop of the brake plate but that is the anchor pin not the adjusting pin. im going to bleed off the pressure a little bit by pumping the pedal and then im going to tourch it and use the BFH. it moves like 1/8 of an inch so bcuz of that i though maybe it was something other than it being frozen on

You take a 5 pound hammer and beat the hell out of the facing. You can spray some PB Blaster or other good quality penetrant in the lug holes and around the hub, let it soak, then beat the hell out of it. Sorry, but that's the only way.

You take a 5 pound hammer and beat the hell out of the facing. You can spray some PB Blaster or other good quality penetrant in the lug holes and around the hub, let it soak, then beat the hell out of it. Sorry, but that's the only way.

Yup, over time the drum sort of welds itself to the axle. I had the same issue on my 96.

And when you do finally get the drum off off, put a bit of anti-seize compound around the hub were the rotor will rest. The next guy that has to remove that drum will thank you...

Invest in a small propane torch.Heat up around lugs,then get your hammer.Works good on frozen nuts too.

I have beat on rotors and drums way to often before, I hope your putting new drums on because by the sounds of things they won't be coming off in one piece

use a 10 pound sludge hammer and lay underneath and tap outwards, have someone pry outward on the otherside

All of you guys wielding hammers, torches and PB Blaster, have 1 thing in common, you're not in California. Unless the truck was used for boat launching in salt water, rust seizing the drun to the axle, shouldn't be the issue. Most likely the rear shoes are worn and grovved into the drum. This usually means that you need to remove the access plug in the baccking plate and back off the self adjuster.

All of you guys wielding hammers, torches and PB Blaster, have 1 thing in common, you're not in California. Unless the truck was used for boat launching in salt water, rust seizing the drun to the axle, shouldn't be the issue. Most likely the rear shoes are worn and grovved into the drum. This usually means that you need to remove the access plug in the baccking plate and back off the self adjuster.

He already said there is no access hole. It seems to be there would have to be one however. ???????

One has to wonder if the metal from the drum and water mixed would cause a problem. It does rain in Kalifournia doesn't it?

The truck spent its entire life in the valley here in california. I used my torch and heated up the drum around the lugs and around the center however, I still wasnt able to get it off. I looked all over youtube and the star nut that releases the shoe pressure is located inside the assembly itself...no help at ALL. My drum doesnt look rusted onto the axle so i think im going to take it to les shwab and utilize their free brake inspection haha. they can deal with it now.

Ive asked friends, neighbors, and even my old shop instructer but no one can get it off. So its not just me haha. but like I said in my last post, Les shwab offers a free brake inspection and im gona use it haha

If you and others can't get it off, your gonna take it to a Les Schwab tire shop, and have some 19 year old kid try.
Boy, i wish you lotsa luck then.

-
Back