98 obdII swap harness build

-

jammied

Reaction score
Well yesterday I dissected my 1998 5.9l ram harness I've never done the obdII harness before but have done a few of the obdI harnesses running low on those but have 4 of the obdII harnesses. doesn't look that hard just a lot more wires!!

So far from my notes his is what I came up with. Any correction or help is appreciated

1. lg/b connects to switched start/run power. c1 #2 on pcm
2. br wire from starter relay to starter small terminal
3. rd/y from starter relay to start position
4. bl/w wire grounded or hooked to park/neutral switch. THIS is the ground wire for the starter relay
5. dg/black fuel pump +
6. large red wire to feed the ignition switch and vehicle b+ at all times

does this sound correct? The harness was complete all the way to the plug in under the dash and I will be using the stock pdc box.

Almost forgot to add that the lg/black wire runs from the engine controller to the pdc then is spliced leaving the pdc and also runs to the fuel pump relay and the asd relay then to the ignition plug under the dash

Top pic is the factory splice for the light green and black. Second pic is fuel pump relay pic 3 is asd relay and fourth is staarter relay

I have 2 of the mopar performance p5153734ac controllers coming should be here Monday. According to the tracking #'s. These are the 360 fuel injection swap computers for the 380hp-395hp crate engines. Anyone have experience with these controllers? There is a lot of conflicting specs on the net about these some say they are obdII some say obdI. Might have to have air-ram flash me a pcm for this obdII harness.

View attachment IMG_20151201_215001.jpgRecieved the computers. Yesterday. I was a little nervous about the remanufactured label and the instruction guide that was with them for installing into factory trucks. A call to mopar performance assured me that these are the correctly programmed engine controllers for the crate motor kits. These have a different pinout on the iac motor to use a Delphi iac and tps. Not for sure but I think the pin out is changed on the iac plug not in the controller. They have no Rev limit or speed limit. And can run a 46re according to mopar.

Looking at doing similar with 99 ram , injection and 46 re. Will be following along

Thanks guy's I am no expert and this is my first jtec attemptSo the simplified version having the complete engine harness and pdc.

plugin the main engine harness sensors and hook up all grounds. Then do steps 1-6 above. If I were using the factory 46re then plugin all the connectors for it and there would be no need to hook the bk/w wire to ground as it will already be connected to the 46re. I have seen one wiring schematic that has a diode inline with the bl/w wire when used for hyd governor trannies? when using a different transmission if the computer will allow hook the bk/w wire to the park/neutral switch as the computer may compensate idle speed.

Also I corrected my mistake above.

On pretty much all the old mopars the battery feeds the ignition switch and fuse panel from the starter solenoid where the positive battery cable connects to it. There is a smaller red wire that runs into the main harness from that post on the solenoid.

So, top pic is the complete engine and tranny harness from the jtec controller also the plugin from the controller to pdc.. Center pic is the pdc after icut out what I didn't need. Bottom pic is the wires that need to be hooked up for starter, power etc also shows twisted pair of wires that sre for the diagnostic port.

Very cool. You are a brave man. I was scared to start eliminating wires in mine. I just used it all and stuffed what I don't use up in the dash. Is it going in the Sweptline?

The pdc made it cheating. For the $12 I got one for full of fuses and relays, it's about as close to a must as it gets for a swap. Good to see that was OBD-II.

The sweptline is one of the swap projects it already has a 340 with magnum heads and intake the next step is to put the magnum fuel injection on it. I also have a 66' dart and a 75 swinger to swap magnums into. while putting my old Dakota drag racer back together. Winter is slowing the progress lol.

The obdII isn't to bad to figure out but I also did a lot of diagram searching. Having all the wiring with the pdc is a lot easier. There are a lot of good diagrams floating around the web for wiring pin outs I took the covering off the harness just to be sure what went where and be sure the pin out diagrams were correct. Although the mopar controllersfor the 380hp crate conversions have a slightly different pin out and I had to add a wire for a 02 sensor. but are very very similar otherwise. Just gotta finish cleaning up the wiring now.

I have a '73 360 Mag headed motor with the Magnum injection swapped on. Rest of the car needs plenty of sorting still but it wasn't too bad to get it starting.

Glad to hear you had success with the pre mag to mag conversion. Not to many threads on the subject. Hopefully this weekend I will get time to set up the test frame and start testing wiring harnesses, throttle bodies and computers. Then I have to build a few efi 4bbl to mpi manifolds

Just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly, you have to swap around some pin-outs to run the mp ecm with the stock harness?

On my 98 ram harness c8 didn't have the o2 sensor pin wired in that sensor from the plug on the o2 sensor went to chassis ground instead. Other than that it was the same.

Ah, gotcha, sounded more involved then that. I like that intake /throttle body setup your putting together

keeping my fingers crossed lol. I'm actually trying to clone the 360 crate motor fuel injection kit offered by mopar performance back a few years ago. The controller is actually calibrated for the mopar single plane intake and a 4bbl throttle body for the 380-395hp crate motors. With a good set of eq iron ram big valve heads 425hp is very reasonable figure but should be closer to 435hp.

Also very similar to the 2009 5.9l drag-pak challenger set up

Jammied, i saw in another post something about a sweptline tank. I used a Cherokee tank in mine. Its not perfect and hangs down a little low, but it works. I have the Durango pump in it.

-
Back