999 clutch pack in a 904' & opinions on fluid

-

RogerRamRod

The Older I Get, The Faster I Was
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've read where people say to put 5 discs in the forward clutch as opposed to the 4 that I have now, but never see part numbers and details. I've recently read that the A999 trans is the 5 disc version of the 904. Do I simply order clutch parts for the 999?
Are the 5 frictions and steels thinner, or are there different pressure plates as well? Any actual part numbers? What else will be needed to make this work?

2nd subject; fluid. Having a Chrysler Torqueflite, I would be inclined to use ATF+4 fluid. Somewhere I read that aftermarket frictions (Alto Red Eagle)are designed with Dexron in mind. I have a L\U Torque Converter made for a Chrysler. Will Dexron fluid cause converter shudder, and\or will ATF+4 cause clutch problems?

I would use Dexron II just to keep it simple. Also, the WIT Transmission site is a great place to get parts.

WIT

A 999 is a lockup 904 with a rigid wide 2nd gear band, 5 disc high gear drum, lockup pump, and lockup input shaft. So the answer is, no, you cannot put lockup 999 parts in a non lockup 904.

You can however put the 2.74 low gear set from a 998/999 into your 904 if you take the front planetary and sunshell/gear assembly.

I cannot stress this enough regarding 904s--you can get in real trouble really easy by mixing and matching parts. The best thing to do is grab a complete core off the shelf and build it. The easiest way to get 5 high gear clutches is to install five .061" grooved red clutches and five .068" steel plates into your 4 disc 904 high gear drum. Selective snap rings are available to obtain the proper clutch clearance, and you can machine the apply piston in a lathe if needed (I do not recommend machining a step in the pressure plate, and I have never recommended that).

A 999 is a lockup 904 with a rigid wide 2nd gear band, 5 disc high gear drum, lockup pump, and lockup input shaft. So the answer is, no, you cannot put lockup 999 parts in a non lockup 904.

You can however put the 2.74 low gear set from a 998/999 into your 904 if you take the front planetary and sunshell/gear assembly.

I cannot stress this enough regarding 904s--you can get in real trouble really easy by mixing and matching parts. The best thing to do is grab a complete core off the shelf and build it. The easiest way to get 5 high gear clutches is to install five .061" grooved red clutches and five .068" steel plates into your 4 disc 904 high gear drum. Selective snap rings are available to obtain the proper clutch clearance, and you can machine the apply piston in a lathe if needed (I do not recommend machining a step in the pressure plate, and I have never recommended that).
That's great info. Thank you!

Probably a stupid question, but why don't you recommend machining the pressure plate? I see some trans shops offering thinned/machined 727 pressure plates. Or is it only a 904 thing?

Last edited:
Cope and A&A have thin plates allowing you to put 5 discs in your 4 disc drum.

I cannot stress this enough regarding 904s--you can get in real trouble really easy by mixing and matching parts. The best thing to do is grab a complete core off the shelf and build it. The easiest way to get 5 high gear clutches is to install five .061" grooved red clutches and five .068" steel plates into your 4 disc 904 high gear drum. Selective snap rings are available to obtain the proper clutch clearance, and you can machine the apply piston in a lathe if needed (I do not recommend machining a step in the pressure plate, and I have never recommended that).in
Thank you for the info, that's the kind of help I was looking for.

That's great info. Thank you!

Probably a stupid question, but why don't you recommend machining the pressure plate? I see some trans shops offering thinned/machined 727 pressure plates. Or is it only a 904 thing?
We offer machined pressure plates to thinner thicknesses, but not stepped. I've removed several broken stepped pressure plates.
We offer this mainly for the 727 and RE/RH transmissions when installing more than 6 friction discs. I am more inclined to use a thinner snap ring or machine the apply piston a small amount on the 904.

Last edited:
2nd subject; fluid. Having a Chrysler Torqueflite, I would be inclined to use ATF+4 fluid. Somewhere I read that aftermarket frictions (Alto Red Eagle)are designed with Dexron in mind. I have a L\U Torque Converter made for a Chrysler. Will Dexron fluid cause converter shudder, and\or will ATF+4 cause clutch problems?
Modern friction materials can run in any fluid without issue. I would not poor ATF+4 into a 50+ year old transmission that has never been rebuilt.
The standard fluid we use is DexIII on a basic, mild street strip build.

We offer machined pressure plates to thinner thicknesses, but not stepped. I've removed several broken stepped pressure plates.
We offer this mainly for the 727 and RE/RH transmissions when installing more than 6 friction discs. I am more inclined to use a thinner snap ring or machine the apply piston a small amount on the 904.
does the 42RE/RH follow the same rules of don't be mixing and matching bits around as the earlier stuff?

Not so much with the 42/44 stuff as that will all interchange with each other, although I do believe the 42 may have had 3 pinion planetaries front and rear, so no reason to go from 4 pinion to 3.

The 1-3 portion of the 42/44 trans is all very similar to the 999 but the majority of the parts will not interchange with a 904, 998 or 999. The later model 4 speed used a bigger high gear drum with two bushings, a larger diameter sun shell, and specific input and pump. The few parts that will interchange with a 904/998/999 are the front and rear planetary, ring gears and sun gear.

To my knowledge and based on what I've torn down in the past, the 998/999 all had the 2.74/1.54/1.00 four pinion steel planetary gear train, and the same holds true for the 44.

-
Back