999 Lock-Up Transmission / change input shaft to non LU?

-

360duster

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

i found a early 80´s A999 Transmission from a Van for sale, # 4058398. Would like to get it to rebuild it. My concern is if it´s a Lock-up unit, could the Input shaft and if necessary the pump gears be changed to non LU-Parts? Still waiting for pics of the Input shaft to identify it exactly. Just curious.....Thanks for Info!

Michael

There may be more difference in the pump area and I believe the valve body needs to be changed. Converters do not interchange. The lock-up transmissions have about a 3/4" smooth tip on the input shaft where the regular ones have splines all the way to the tip.

yes, of course the VB is different if it´s a LU trans. VB is easily changed, i see more Problems in the pump / Input shaft area.

My concern is if it´s a Lock-up unit, could the Input shaft and if necessary the pump gears be changed to non LU-Parts?

Nope, not without a huge hassle. Tracking down all the correct parts, including the pump and non-lockup drum that fits that particular pump is essentially impossible to do here in the US, can't fathom trying to do that in Germany!

You actually posted a reply in my old thread here, might help to go back and look through it.

How to identify a non lockup A999 transmission with pics!

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

i remembered your old thread, was pretty interesting. I did a full rebuild to the trans i mentioned then, now nicely working in my 408 Valiant. And you were right.....it was no 999, but equipped with 4pinion steel planetaries - i think it was a 998.

This one i´m talking about now is up for sale, i always check the market and try to collect "the good stuff".

Thanks all!

Hi Guys,

i found a early 80´s A999 Transmission from a Van for sale, # 4058398. Would like to get it to rebuild it. My concern is if it´s a Lock-up unit, could the Input shaft and if necessary the pump gears be changed to non LU-Parts? Still waiting for pics of the Input shaft to identify it exactly. Just curious.....Thanks for Info!

Michael
I have done this. I did it by finding a non lockup slant six trans to use the pump and the input shaft. The sealing ring diameter of the two trannies is different by like .060. Hard to notice with naked eye.
Best to get the correct direct drum to match the new slant six pump.
It can be done with some work. You can get the correct drum at a&have trans. They have a listing for it. Or try Wittrans. Whatever it takes transmission. Great prices there. If you use 5 clutch. Parts from the 1980s tranny you will have to have the stator bore on the slant six pump opened up. Again A&a sells that part already machined.
Those 1980,s 904 were the strongest ones.
You must change valve body as mentioned.
Good luck.

-
Back