999 lock up wiring problem

-

glhx

Reaction score
I have a 999 transmission in my 69 dart. It came out of an 87 van.

it’s got a switch on the back of it that looks like a temp sender. It’s not a temp sender. It operated the lock up clutch on the torque converter. However……I don’t know how it operates the lock up.

im getting a lot of mixed information as to what the switch is.

some say that I run a hot to it and it locks up. Like, if I had a toggle switch I can turn it on and have lock up. If I turn it off I won’t. That it’s the on/off engage switch.

the others say that no 999 ever had electric lock up and it was always hydraulic……..
they say that this switch is an UNLOCK solenoid switch and the original 87 has a computer that unlocks the converter for part throttle or towing

in the end……I just want lock up for the highway And would like this system working the best it can

anyone who knows for sure, it would help a lot.

DE931884-FD01-4AAA-A00F-54024CCB15ED.jpeg

77705D06-1C78-4F28-8A3D-C953DFDA8EE8.jpeg

I have a 999 transmission in my 69 dart. It came out of an 87 van.

it’s got a switch on the back of it that looks like a temp sender. It’s not a temp sender. It operated the lock up clutch on the torque converter. However……I don’t know how it operates the lock up.

im getting a lot of mixed information as to what the switch is.

some say that I run a hot to it and it locks up. Like, if I had a toggle switch I can turn it on and have lock up. If I turn it off I won’t. That it’s the on/off engage switch.

the others say that no 999 ever had electric lock up and it was always hydraulic……..
they say that this switch is an UNLOCK solenoid switch and the original 87 has a computer that unlocks the converter for part throttle or towing

in the end……I just want lock up for the highway And would like this system working the best it can

anyone who knows for sure, it would help a lot.

View attachment 1716024710

View attachment 1716024711
I found this on an old ramcharger blog. You may have already seen it but the 2nd switch should help identify which one you have. Sorry if this doesn't help.
ramchargercentral_com.svg

"I have a 1987 D100 with a 318 I believe I have identified the trans to be a A999. Does this mean it has a lock up converter in it? If it does I believe that is controlled by the ESA in the fender. I had planned on eliminating the ESA and replacing it with a standard electronic ignition. How would this effect the lock up converter?"

"Back then lock up was usually controlled by hydraulic. Somewhere in that time frame some were electronically controlled. If it is that version it will have a 2nd electrical plug on the transmission."

I had a transmission from an 85 Fifth Avenue in my Dart for years. It had the hydraulically actuated lockup and didn't require any wires for anything (except the NSS). It would pretty much lock up immediately after shifting into 3rd gear

The solenoid is there to block the convertor from locking up; as with a "Tow/Haul" switch. Lockup functions on the A999 (AKA 32RH) are hydraulically controlled.

I feel a lot better about this. I’m glad I don’t have to mess with it. I’ll see how it goes.
supposed to be a pretty nice transmission. I went through it and put a shift kit in it that’s 1 level above stock.

-
Back