9in. to 10in. Drum Conversion

-

jfleming64dart

Reaction score
Hello!

I have a 1964 Dodge Dart with the factory 9in. drums. The braking power, as is know, is poor at best. It's fine around my small town for now, but I'm moving to Long Island next fall where I need stop & go ability. Disks are way out of the price range I'm willing to work with. So my question is: how does one go about swapping from 9" drums to 10" drums (or 11 if thats possible)?

Thanks!

Why do you say disks are out of your price range? I did a disk conversion for under 400. Could be done for less if I didn't buy PowerStop Drilled and Slotted Rotors and PowerStop Carbon Fiber Ceramic pads.

10" drums use different spindles than the 9" drums. By the time you're done swapping to 10" drums, you'll probably have spent at least a couple hundred bucks. You'd be far better off saving for a little longer and just going straight to to a disk kit.

Hello!

I have a 1964 Dodge Dart with the factory 9in. drums. The braking power, as is know, is poor at best. It's fine around my small town for now, but I'm moving to Long Island next fall where I need stop & go ability. Disks are way out of the price range I'm willing to work with. So my question is: how does one go about swapping from 9" drums to 10" drums (or 11 if thats possible)?

Thanks!

Do you have 13 inch rims or 14inch rims the 14s will help a lot with braking will also help out with mileage a bit

Just find a 10 inch drum set up from a v8 a body mopar dart valiant i did this conversion using drum brake set up from a 1968 dart v8 on my 65 dart everything fit correctly you use your control arms that are already on your dart lower and upper ball joints also all you need is the spindles backing plate drum shoes hardware i would recommend changing your ball joints ect all at this time you can also swap to a later rear end which has 10 inch drums as well.

I agree on swapping to disc,and this is what I would do.You might want to think on the safety factor of disc brakes vs drum in an urban environment. All it takes is one jerk off cutting you off,your in a panic stop and parked in his trunk...

Take a look at this. I believe this is the most cost effective swap and you get the benefit of common,modern parts.
https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64&product_id=103

I agree on swapping to disc,and this is what I would do.You might want to think on the safety factor of disc brakes vs drum in an urban environment. All it takes is one jerk off cutting you off,your in a panic stop and parked in his trunk...

Take a look at this. I believe this is the most cost effective swap and you get the benefit of common,modern parts.
https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64&product_id=103

Safety is the main concern, which is why I wanted to do something about the braking situation. I'm a college student, and I'm saving up to move next fall, so in all fairness this is not the financially ideal time for me to be restoring a classic in the first place. But what can I say, I love the car! That does seem to end up costing about the same as a 10" drum conversion would, and the parts are decidedly easier to get. I have a mix of 14" wheels the PO put on, but the fronts have the middle rally bit and the extra little holes to fasten on rally middle bit, so I'm assuming they are rally wheels, so it should fit well.

I used to feel t hat I was going to use my 4 piston kelsey hayes disc brakes on my 70 dart,but the price of these parts is INSANE. Im probably better off using a scarebird conversion myself!

Scarebird is what I used. $400 for drilled and slotted rotors and carbon fiber ceramic pads...couldnt beat it.

Scarebird is what I used. $400 for drilled and slotted rotors and carbon fiber ceramic pads...couldnt beat it.

I have access via my girlfriend's dad to a fully equipped garage, so I'll be able to do the re-drilling, cutting etc. myself (he's a car guy too so we get along well, even though he's a Ford guy;) . Should be able to do the conversion for a tad under $300! But that'll come this summer. First comes hacking out the rusted-to-swiss-cheese spring boxes and welding in the new ones. Nothing like a little subframe work to make your first classic interesting, but hey, it was $500...

Keep us updated when you go for it. Fabo is a huge resource,and someone will be able help if you need it. I'm convinced now that I also will go with scarebird. I recently acquired a Dana 60 from a ford pu . It will need narrowing,custom axles etc so might as well go with the 4.5"pbolt circle. That frees up.my kh brakes,so for sale soon along with the 8 3\4. So, my point was what? Lol,oh ya one thing leads to another with these cars...��

Will do! I'll have to get myself one of those fancy restoration threads. I'm sure someone'll get a kick out of some 19yo doing framework to save a somewhat unpopular model, and a 4dr at that! But I like it and thats what counts.

That IS what counts. And if you learn how to do frame work now, you can use that knowledge again to save whatever you like later, be it fancy numbers matching show cars or every unpopular, $500 4 door you come across. ;-)

Do the work yourself, drive the crap out of it when you're done, and have fun! :thumbup:

Will do! I'll have to get myself one of those fancy restoration threads. I'm sure someone'll get a kick out of some 19yo doing framework to save a somewhat unpopular model, and a 4dr at that! But I like it and thats what counts.

Sounds like my 4 door! Good luck with the project. There are 10" backing plates listed in the for sale section time to time.

That IS what counts. And if you learn how to do frame work now, you can use that knowledge again to save whatever you like later, be it fancy numbers matching show cars or every unpopular, $500 4 door you come across. ;-)

Do the work yourself, drive the crap out of it when you're done, and have fun! :thumbup:

I agree wholeheartedly. Learn the hard stuff while I have the time and someone to teach me. And drive the crap out of it I will!

What rear?

If you're asking what brakes I'll probably stick with the stock 9" drums, as disks up front will give me good enough stopping power. It stops on the drums but I fear not well enough for the way people drive in Long Island, hence needing to upgrade before I move.
If you're asking what axle I have I have no idea, but it's original.

u can get rear backing plates quite easily...the small V8 cars with 7.25's had the 10 inch brakes from 66-72

If you want 10's I have two sets right now. Hey I grew up in Valley Stream and can relate to the driving in that area.

u can get rear backing plates quite easily...the small V8 cars with 7.25's had the 10 inch brakes from 66-72

Yes,those came factory on my 70 Dart with 318.For some bizzare reason,my car had an 8 3/4,possibly a replacement by a p/o..

And lots of guys will get a kick out of you rescuing an unpoplular or ugly mopar.It's what our hobby is all about. You wanna get a kick,check out my resoration thread. 48 yr old disabled guy with M.S,still plugging away. I will get it done,as my biggest barrier these days is cash. But that will change,all things do! Lesson here is never give up...

I would be thrilled and honored if you contact me with a link to your resto when you get it going. Even some pics of your break mods would be welcome!

Yes,those came factory on my 70 Dart with 318.For some bizzare reason,my car had an 8 3/4,possibly a replacement by a p/o..

And lots of guys will get a kick out of you rescuing an unpoplular or ugly mopar.It's what our hobby is all about. You wanna get a kick,check out my resoration thread. 48 yr old disabled guy with M.S,still plugging away. I will get it done,as my biggest barrier these days is cash. But that will change,all things do! Lesson here is never give up...

I would be thrilled and honored if you contact me with a link to your resto when you get it going. Even some pics of your break mods would be welcome!

Thank you it is what I do, well said my friend.

I'll make sure to get you the link when I do! Motivating lesson indeed, this whole site makes me want to just dive in and start fixing the whole thing over my upcoming break, of course I have no parts or money to get them presently. But everything is awfully motivating. Perhaps I'll just take care of rust treating/protecting the bottom, but progress is progress.

-
Back