A 100 Dodge Van White Smoke

-

Robert1122

Reaction score
Greetings,

nice running van but can't seem to clear the white smoke up, from the new exhaust. it starts, idles, and runs well, but after the car idles for a bit, it starts to smoke white smoke.

I am in an area, north san diego county, where most mechanics aren't really interested in taking the time to actually go through the van to see where the smoke is actually coming from or what is causing it.

This is because its a dodge and parts are hard to get. One mechanic has done a bit of work to make sure the van is relatively safe, but thats because he, in the past and his youth, had 60's fords and chevys, but doesn't really want to spend the time to really fix mine.

I did place seafoam in the tank about 80 miles ago, but now the van just sits and I let it run to keep warm because driving it actually embarrasses me with all the smoke that pours out.

Any suggestions? Thank you. This is my first post, not a mechanic, and I am a new member. So please be gentle. #-o

White 'smoke' usually indicates water vapor caused by blown head gasket but could be more serious. Could be water is entering a combustion chamber via a crack.

The question is if the smoke is water/coolant, or oil. Oil typically has a bit of a blueish tinge to it. Place a cool mirror up behind the exhaust and see if moisture condenses on it. If so, it is water/coolant. Anti-freeze also will have a sweet odor to it. If it is that much water/coolant being lost, you will see the coolant level dropping over time keep and eye on the overflow tank level, and also check the coolant in the top of the rad after it has cooled overnight to see if the level is dropping. Ditto for the oil on the dipstick.

-
Back