A 1974 Duster - My 2nd one, 41 years later!

-
Cleaned up the rest of the windshield channel and primed. Also stripped the Napa Gold paint off the trunk lid. No filler YEA!, just lousy paint and primer. Still gotta take some more of the primer off to get to the original Sienna Haze paint, but I am almost there.

19133037735_fd5416fd87_c.jpg
IMG_2123 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

18511266463_d1560e78ae_c.jpg
IMG_2126 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

We took ours down to factory paint. Now the car has panels from everywhere so that was different on the hood, deck lid, both fenders and the valance. The right fender was sanded downtown bare metal with cheap rattle can primer. That came off with lacquer thinner and a rag. Used etching primer on that only.

I figured if the factor paint was still solid 42 years later why not leave it?

We did a light sand then 2K primer, then build primer, blocked it then base clear.

I think leaving your factory paint as a base is a good move.

Very modest paint job that looks nice

View attachment image-3754823415.jpg

I will be leaving any and all factory paint, yes. I agree, if the factory paint is good after all this time, it will serve as a solid base for the epoxy primer.

Just got done meeting with my trusted autobody guy and it was decided that seeing how part of the quarter (lower corner) must be cut out and the rest of it is beat to ****, we might as well do a partial quarter panel replacement. So, following DusterDaddy's lead I ordered a skin from www.getallparts.com With their Jun 10% off it was $139.73 + shipping (shipping was $165 to Colorado). I don't think I could have found one any less so it's ordered!

21816 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

http://www.getallparts.com/p-21816-...er-side-quarter-panel-skin-gmk215060072r.aspx

Wow
They had a shipping cost glitch when I ordered. I only paid $32 or something like that for shipping for 2 skins.
I have heard from others since that they have caught the shipping error....
Good luck with the skin install

Continuing getting the car back to her original paint. Got the hood and cowl stripped. A little filler in the front right but that can be fixed. Got a new toy to install the quarter panel with...that is on the way! On sale at the Harbor for $189.00 a 170 amp that takes a bottle. It had 82 very good reviews so I think it should be able to get the job done. If I was using it everyday for work I certainly would have got a Miller but this just has to do a minor amount of welding.

IMG_2434 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

IMG_2427 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

With the new Quarter panel skin on it's way....Readying for the job! Rear bumper will be removed tomorrow...never to be put back on this car. Anyone want a nice 74 rear bumper???

IMG_2135 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

No $hit...St. Cloud MN...thats where I live...I had no idea.......a heads up and we coulda met and had some beers...oh well...too late now :glasses7:

Wow, such a small world!!!!

There's always more than one way to do things. I wanted to take the glass out to inspect for rust, fix it if I find it, and then reinstall the glass with new rubber. I will do this for the rear glass also. Well I thought hey lets paint the channel while I have the glass out and this will also serve as a test to see if we like the color. So, Lil' Sassy in the windshield channel, and 3 coats of clear.

IMG_2142 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

And this morning, I think we all like it here!:

image1 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

image1 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Thanks Ben!

Guys, I am needing a quality windshield gasket...what is the gasket of choice??? Steele Rubber Products? What do you guys use?

Keep going. And take those nice trim rings off for now so you don't over spray on them

:D

Very nice! I'm restoring a 74 right now also. Just got it back from paint shop! E5 like DusterDaddy's

Shot some 2 part gray epoxy primer on the roof and trunk deck, 2 coats. All in all came out ok. I will continue getting the whole car covered in gray epoxy. Too much orange peel, probably needs more pressure, nothing I can't knock down with some sanding.

IMG_2469 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

IMG_2470 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

I am jealous, how much did that passenger 1/4 panel cost you? Shipped
I ordered the same ones, $40 shipped and they were out of the passenger side.
The SOBs told me this after I ordered, and paid for both, they shipped the drivers side.

Also don't bondo over the white jell left from the paint stripper. New paint will not stick to it for long.

The quarter panel was something like $139 and the shipping was $165, so it certainly wasn't cheap like D Daddy got his. But it's here and ready, when I am ready. Soon. No Sir, no filler or no nothing over paint stripper. I am DA'ing the car with a good 80 grit scuff after the crap gold paint has been stripped. And before any paint: Wax and Grease Remover.

Alex my 74 also had a vinyl top. Do you know if we need any seam sealer where where the roof meets the top edge? Where the stainless trim goes on. I think it's called drip moulding. The little gully where water would run down.

-
Back