A 1974 Duster - My 2nd one, 41 years later!

-
sorry to hear about kali belle...........like dave said hang in there buddy, i'll be by soon w/some attitude changer in a bottle.

i've been busy w/family and the band, need a mopar break.

how are the rock slingers doing? still thinking about u guys.......hope the wife is doing ok......
higgs

Super Big Thanks to all of you!!! Man this is rough....but I do feel a bit better today. Thanks again.

I finished the Mini Tubs, really not a hard job, just takes a lot of time and a lot of welding.
This Kit from US Car and Tool has been waiting. Will be installing next.

Higgs: RockSlingers band has been on a break while our lead guitarist gets some personal issues straight.

IMG_2570 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Happy Thanksgiving guys!!! Wishing all of you the best!!! While my wife is in the kitchen prepping the eats, I fired up the garage heat and shot some paint. I know it won't be seen when the rear panel goes back in place...I was just sick of seeing the old color.

I am out of 75/25 welding gas so gotta wait til I go get some more to finish welding in the spring relocate kit. I'll start cutting the other side over the weekend and get all the parts placed for welding.

IMG_2576 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

I decided to go with a 1" x 1/8" piece of steel trimmed to fit, to weld to the frame and spring hanger. It will cover my not so straight cut and provide a secure welding piece.

IMG_2577 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

You're moving right along! I'm sure you probably already know this, but before you weld the new spring pads onto your rear end housing, you need to make some bushings for the location pin in the leaf springs. The ones in the new spring pads are WAY bigger than the pin that is in the leaf springs. If you use them as is, the rear end can get cockeyed on the springs. Keep up the good work! :prayer:

With JD's reminder about the spring perch bushings I decided I have enough gas to give it a go. I finished cutting in and fitting all my spring relocation kit brackets this morning, so off to Home Depot to get a piece of 3/8" gas pipe to fashion into these bushings. I am teaching myself how to weld...before this project I have never really touched a welder. The welds are not pretty yet but penetration is good and I am happy with the result. Doing sheet metal I have been using .023 wire. which works very well. I switched over to .035 for these bushings and for welding in the new spring relocate brackets. Have to say I am very happy with my cheap-o HF welder.

IMG_2589 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

IMG_2590 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Still haven't had a chance to get more welding gas, doing that today. With the Dynamat all in place I am wanting to put the carpet and interior permanently back in. I am kinda stuck as it seems every parts place is back ordered on the pop-out quarter window seals. At any rate, I put some pieces back in place. Going to cut a new rear deck panel soon and cover it in black faux leather fabric.

IMG_2592 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

My trunk divider was in pretty bad shape, but good enough to be used as a template to cut a new one. I laminated two pieces of card board together with spray 777 adhesive, then traced the shape and with a box cutter, cut the shape out. I will make sure it fits right with the enlarged/mini tubbed wheel wells before covering with the faux leather fabric.

IMG_2601 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Alex, is that the real faux leather, or the genuine imitation leather. Looks good. So when do the quarters go on?

^ LOL! Lets go with Real Faux Leather or RFL. Schedule: Finish welding driver side spring relocate kit tomorrow, Passenger side was done today. Hang new springs, they will be here Tuesday. Position and weld new perches to rear end housing. Complete 3rd member...Place car back down on it's wheels. Then: Weld on new quarter panel.

12/15 marks 6 months since I purchased the car.

New US Car Tool spring hangers all welded in. They squared up great and the install was pretty straight forward. Centering housing, marking where new perches get welded to the housing. I will order one of those magnetic degree angle tools. New SS leafs arrived from Summit.

IMG_2623 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

IMG_2624 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

IMG_2625 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

IMG_2626 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

While spring relocate was going on, I removed the gas tank to re-undercoated the body, and give me more room. The gas tank was in good shape so sanded, scraped, wire wheeled all the undercoating off it. Going back with a little paint. Sides needed a extra coat of primer, soon as it drys I'll shoot it in silver.

IMG_2635 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

-
Back