A 318/360 question

-

hemitt

Reaction score
ok here it goes i had a 318 motor in my 72 duster im swapping it out for a 360 well the 360 i have the oil pan is rear sump and the 318 is mid. now the question what oil pan and what do i havta do with the oil pump and pick up or are they interchangable? I know the 360 came out of a truck hence the rear sump. well if i didnt put all info in let me know ill try to describe it better thanks

Nope... The 360 has a different size main bearings and the pans cannot be interchanged. Sorry. You have to get a 360 pan. And if you buy it new it comes with the pick-up you need. I got mine from mopar.

sorry to jump in on the thread but since were talking about interchangeability I was wondering if 318 accessories, alternator, power steering pump ect. will bolt up to a 360

sorry to jump in on the thread but since were talking about interchangeability I was wondering if 318 accessories, alternator, power steering pump ect. will bolt up to a 360

yes...

You can do like i did, i had a hard time finding a good used 360 oil pan for my dart when i was installing a magnum, i didn't know how good the e-bay pans were for fitment or draglink clearance, the MP peice for me was over priced, so i got creative when i purchased a used oil pan that was suppost to be for a 360, but realized after i got it home (dumb me) it was a 318 pan, so i took & cut the rear of the 360 magnum truck pan & welded it to the 318 pan, at the time i had someone weld it up, i was out 20.00 bucks, it works great & doesn't leak a drop, you already have the 318 car pan, just find a 360 truck pan, wether its an LA or Magnum, there very easy to find, a magnum pan shouldn't cost hardly anything & the easiest to find, scout the junkyards.

The difference on these pans are just the rear seal rail, sence the 360 has a larger main cap, the seal is smaller, so all you need to do is measure where you need to make the cut (i used a die grinder with cut off disc), where it lines up to each end, then i cut each end at an angle going down about 2 inches, then straight across from the 360 magnum pan, then lined it up with the 318 pan (putting the piece on the inside), then had it welded. A relatively cheap & easy solution, then just use your 318 pick-up tube (clean it out good).

You can do like i did, i had a hard time finding a good used 360 oil pan for my dart when i was installing a magnum, i didn't know how good the e-bay pans were for fitment or draglink clearance, the MP peice for me was over priced, so i got creative when i purchased a used oil pan that was suppost to be for a 360, but realized after i got it home (dumb me) it was a 318 pan, so i took & cut the rear of the 360 magnum truck pan & welded it to the 318 pan, at the time i had someone weld it up, i was out 20.00 bucks, it works great & doesn't leak a drop, you already have the 318 car pan, just find a 360 truck pan, wether its an LA or Magnum, there very easy to find, a magnum pan shouldn't cost hardly anything & the easiest to find, scout the junkyards.

The difference on these pans are just the rear seal rail, sence the 360 has a larger main cap, the seal is smaller, so all you need to do is measure where you need to make the cut (i used a die grinder with cut off disc), where it lines up to each end, then i cut each end at an angle going down about 2 inches, then straight across from the 360 magnum pan, then lined it up with the 318 pan (putting the piece on the inside), then had it welded. A relatively cheap & easy solution, then just use your 318 pick-up tube (clean it out good).

That works too... But I found mine on sale so it wasn't too bad.

ok here it goes i had a 318 motor in my 72 duster im swapping it out for a 360 well the 360 i have the oil pan is rear sump and the 318 is mid. now the question what oil pan and what do i havta do with the oil pump and pick up or are they interchangable? I know the 360 came out of a truck hence the rear sump. well if i didnt put all info in let me know ill try to describe it better thanks

Also make sure your torque converter is balanced or you have the B@M balanced flex plate for 360's.

well i went with the one from jegs came with tube and a 360 "car" oil pan it ran me $132.00 not to bad. i just hope it all works out by the time im done almost everything on my 360 is gonna b new....

-
Back