A-500 With Reverse Issues

-

JoJo

Reaction score
I just installed my A-500 and Reverse wants to play Hide and Seek. The forward gears are fine. I put it in Reverse and you can hear the transmission engage, but will barely move or catch and begin to move. Other times it acts like it's in Neutral.

I want to inspect and clean the valvebody and adjust the bands. Would that help or do I have bigger problems? Do I need to use a specific fluid?

Fluid won't make any difference in what is happening with reverse.
Most likely there is a problem with the rear servo sealing, and they do even crack.
Fortunately you can get to it to find out pretty easy when you have the pan off and the same part covers A500 42RE 42RH 44RE A727 A518 46RE 46RH A618 47RH 47RE 48RE A904 30RH transmission, so they are easy to find.

Most would replace it with an upgraded billet unit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information! I think I have one from an old build. I'll dig around and see. I will drop the pan and inspect it.

Thanks for the information! I think I have one from an old build. I'll dig around and see. I will drop the pan and inspect it.

when you drop the valve body
Do an air check, it will help find the problem
also look at the material in the pan, the band may be worn/ coming apart

Could just be a L/R band adjustment too. I would check the hydraulic pressure in the L/R servo. This can be done on the outside,w/o taking anything apart. It won't tell you if the band is applying tho; just that the servo is working.Or not,heehee

-
Back