A-518 and 46RH find

-
How is your build progressing? Is that a lockup converter?
I tore it down yesterday and it looks new inside ! I will still upgrade the clutches , add a 3.8 or 4.2 lever , billet pistons , upgrade the bands , as well as some fluid flow enhancements and a shift kit .

A3B1A012-9DBB-4157-AA98-8C257E105741.jpeg

9E54A92B-8391-4553-BDEC-BCA1FF02C037.jpeg

9E54A92B-8391-4553-BDEC-BCA1FF02C037.jpeg

AB0B7317-BA21-45D9-A6BA-5E8B5B84D48A.jpeg

AB0B7317-BA21-45D9-A6BA-5E8B5B84D48A.jpeg

F10F93F7-04C3-4DA8-8062-7ABB0FB7ACFC.jpeg

D594BBDD-54F1-4AD4-AA2D-2E0E43EA5B1F.jpeg

1E7F5BFA-089D-4380-86AF-00B70017C4E6.jpeg

2A232AFA-9737-4498-B784-F6E9805E423B.jpeg

2EA01BFE-6725-4FD8-9CB7-0F46E5ADD6AC.jpeg

another good upgrade is a billet band apply strut

some also use 727 bands as they have more surface area

sonnex makes a kit to allow the converter to fill in park as well

I don't go by numbers except sometimes the PK number, which may or may not be correct when considering what exactly is inside the trans. Going by "application" or vin number or what joe blow told you are all inaccurate. People are often telling me what they have in their vehicle or inside their trans. Those are the ones who go to AAMCO and end up with a slushbox.

another good upgrade is a billet band apply strut

some also use 727 bands as they have more surface area

sonnex makes a kit to allow the converter to fill in park as well
Did you get your rv up and running with 440/518 ?

My biggest concern is getting the lock up clutch in the converter to live. I will wire mine up on a toggle switch to only use the lockup when up to speed on flat level ground. That and a heavy duty plate style trans cooler. IIRC precision transmission had something in one of their youtube videos about increasing the apply pressure to help.

727's lived fine in them without a lot of problems and the 518's are very comparable inside the front case.

Might spend the money on alto red clutches and kohlene steels but haven't made up my mind. May just try to figure how to get an extra clutch in each pack using stock stuff.

Last edited:
Only ten of them were useless. And right, just throw some extra stuff in there.
If you are referring to the duplicates I dont know how that happened. I trid to remove them but new format is clumsy and I failed. ( gave up )

As for wasting Hackjobs time … He should speak to whomever was there in the room with him forcing him to read this thread . And if you are an expert with 46RH‘s maybe you could help us newbys with a specific list of components and procedures to accomplish our builds ?

Kbcbkia I think. I tried to look for the list of what I used to make the o/d unit same as a diesel bou could not find the list. I will try to go thru mopar parts giant again to see what the mopar numbers are.

Kbcbkia I think. I tried to look for the list of what I used to make the o/d unit same as a diesel bou could not find the list. I will try to go thru mopar parts giant again to see what the mopar numbers are.
Let me start by saying I am not a trans builder or expert. I have spent a hell of a lot of time learning about the 518 and variants though in order to try to make sure I get mine built to give it the best chance to live in my RV.

Biggest differences in gas v/s diesel are more clutches in drums, planet gears have more pinions/gears, governor is different (keep the gas one for gas engine though), and huge difference the converter. Converter is much bigger in the diesel/v10 application but can't be used in 46rh/re as it wont fit the bellhousing.

When ordering parts from your trans supplier ask for a full set of selectables. They are different thickness washers used to set end play on the subassemblies. Ask them for updated/wide bearings and thrust washers.

Steel six pinion planets can be bought but may be overkill. 5 or 6 pinion aluminum planets are ok as long as you drive the RV in a sane manner. Old school big block 727's used 4 pinion aluminum planets for reference.

If the pinion gears do not have any sign of abnormal wear or rocking on their shaft probably ok to just use what you have in your 518 core.

Overdrive planets came in 0 deg, 15 deg, and 22 deg variants. Cant mix and match, planets and shafts have to be changed as a unit. Lowest (0) in diesel is strongest but noisiest. Would not run 22 in heavy duty app as factory figured out they had a problem and changed to 15 deg.

Anyone that can add to this or correct something I may not have right please chime in. I am all ears.

Last edited:
Everything I find is about Diesel applications which is probably overkill for a gas engine … even a 500” 600 ft-lb build . Diesels come on much more abruptly than gas .
As for the Barracuda trany I want it to handle up to 400 hp and be reliable. That may only require a rebuild kit with good clutches and some fluid flow mods. This trany has 4 pinion in front and a 3 pinion in back . Good enough ? I dont know … And I dont beat on my car … much …lol

You guys keep ranting about everything except the most important thing. Direct clutch; the front clutch. There are two of us in my county; but the other guy is an a-hole..

You guys keep ranting about everything except the most important thing. Direct clutch; the front clutch. There are two of us in my county; but the other guy is an a-hole..
???? What ? 2 of you in your county ? Are you already hammered or just Phsyco ?
( that is pronounced “Sike O”)

Both of us have been upfront about our lack of knowledge .

-
Back