A-833 speedometer cable Swap

-

65TTCuda

Reaction score
Can you put a 66 or newer speedometer cable assembly into a 65 A-833 transmission. talking about the pinion gear, adapter and cable. Is there a big difference between the 2 years, will they fit or not.

I believe 65 is different than 66-up. I know auto’s are

Yup, they swapped over when they went from the companion flange output to the slip yoke.

I also would like to know what speedometer gear I would need to put in it. The A-833 I bought is from a 65 Coronet (I know it's from a B body, but I only have to make a bracket to relocate the shifter). So how do you calculate what tooth gear you need? does it depend on the size tires you put on or the gear ratio in the rear end, or the combination of both? The car was originally an automatic I'm converting to a 4 speed. Can I use the gear in the original automatic in the A-833? Just so many thing I don't know, It's confusing. :(:thankyou:

Yes, it depends on tire diameter and rear end ratio. It you aren't changing either of those, use the gear and cable out of your automatic. You'll also have to do something with the driveshaft length and maybe coupler.

-
Back