A-904+rear end, HP ratings

-
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LugdozvZ_58&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - One Fast Fish.[/ame]

700+ HP No Problem with our 904 8 3/4 combo

Sorry guys I gave you some false info, after looking at some pics it appears to be a 72' town and country wagon, what do you guys think about the rear end now?

Sorry guys I gave you some false info, after looking at some pics it appears to be a 72' town and country wagon, what do you guys think about the rear end now?
That year would be way too wide for an A-body. It's a good year to have narrowed though. Some of those C-body wagons had a axle shaft that can be shortened and resplined. If you're going to run a bit of horsepower through it, I think I'd just get a good set of aftermarket axles. To add/correct a few other items mentioned above....the 8 3/4 rear end started in '66 in an A-body and most of the '73-6 cars had a 7 1/4 rear... even 318 cars. If you want to shoehorn an F-body 8 1/4 in an A-body, you'll need new spring perches. The F-body ones are for the rubber isolated springs and have a different type centering pin.

okay, few more, what if I use the wagon springs?, and if that doesn't work how about taking the perches of the rear thats in my car now. What about a 8-3/4?will it be better all around just to get a 8-3/4 out of a truck and narrow it? thanks guys!

The pickup rear is just as wide as the C-body wagon so nothing to gain there. The C-body springs would be way too long. Since new perches are available, why mess around trying to cut the old ones off, and then have to clean/grind them to fit.

good point!, I meant if I was going to sink a bunch of money into a rear end why not make it an 8-3/4?, thanks cudamark! I'm a real "newbie" to all this kind of stuff!.

okay, let me get this straight,, 72' town and country wagon, get the axle have it shortened and have the axles cut and resplined,,. truck 8-3/4 have axles that cannot be cut and resplined right? so I guess my best bet is to get the wagon axle, unless there is a year of truck 8-3/8 that can be cut and resplined, know of any? thanks!, I'm looking at going and getting it this next week, so I need to know "what" to get, lol

okay, let me get this straight,, 72' town and country wagon, get the axle have it shortened and have the axles cut and resplined,,. truck 8-3/4 have axles that cannot be cut and resplined right? so I guess my best bet is to get the wagon axle, unless there is a year of truck 8-3/8 that can be cut and resplined, know of any? thanks!, I'm looking at going and getting it this next week, so I need to know "what" to get, lol
On either rear end you'd have to pull an axle to see if it will respline. Most axle shafts neck-down inboard of the splines and are too small a diameter to respline. Axles that don't narrow are usually a good candidate for the respline job. A lot depends on how much narrowing you do to the axle housing. Once you get further inboard on the axle shaft, it starts to get bigger in diameter again. You'll have to take some measurements to see if where you propose to respline is wide enough to do it.

okay, I think I go it all now, thanks cudamark! just wondering, what rear end you using? (once again thanks!!!).
It depends on which vehicle you're talking about. My A-bodies all have an 8 3/4 except for one low mile virgin which has a 7 1/4. The '78 W250 has a Dana 60 and the '78 Motorhome has a Dana 70.

-
Back