A-bodies over priced?

-

Dart_Guy

Reaction score
Okay, so I was just reading an article in one of my Mopar mags about people asking too much for Mopars and he gave an example of a Duster being priced way too high.

Then today I was doing my daily Dodge search on Craigslist, not that I can afford anything right now... but if I good deal comes up I have to look into it.

I stumbled onto this...
http://pueblo.craigslist.org/car/725019338.html

Am I missing something? I paid 800 for my 71 and it was all original. Granted it was a little bit more used, but practially rust free and running.

The owner of the Dart is clearly smoking some good stuff to think that car is worth 16K!

Yes there are a bunch of people that think any mopar is gold from the BJ effect.

First up with this car is, does it really have that amount of miles or is it really a case of it being flipped once or twice.
Next, the nice thing about this car is it is in the desert. Good clean, zero body rot. The 318 helps and so does the nice interior.

I think the price is a misprint and if it is due to crack, then thats OK, at least we know. If it looks as good in person as it does on the pictures, which are crap quality, maybe 5 G's for it?

My first thought was he added an extra zero by accident... But that seemed too low for the potential good condition. Pueblo is pretty much a desert.

That looks in about the same "Looking" condition as my Duster was. You pay a tad more here on the island for car. Nice ones have to be imported. LOL.

I paid that much for mine. $1600

Well, he did say "asking".
Isn't worth that much to me.
Might be to some people.
Like anything else I suppose.
If you have to have it and can't get "it" cheaper somewhere else, you pay the Piper.
As usual ,also depends on if the car belongs to you or the other guy as to what it is worth.:wink:

16.000 is never mentioned.
But the point is taken that it is not a mistake.

The title contains $16000. He gives 16,000 as the miles.
And he is "asking $16,000".
"But who's counting"?
Or did I read it wrong?
I have found when a car (or anything) is "priced too highly", that people won't even make an offer.
Anyone else found life to be different?
He will find out perhaps.

maybe price of cars go up a dollar per mile?

IF thats true, i got a dart for sale for 150,000!

I look at it this way. Anything Mopar cost more then the other makes and even though we know this we are all proud to own Mopars. If you really think about it are all over priced just like every thing else now a days.

With that said why should our A-Bodies be worth any less then let’s say an E-Body. They were are all manufactured within a few years of each other, all made of the same metals and for the most part all have the same engines…

I noticed about a year ago that A-Bodies were deffinately goin into the "too high" price range. I went to inquire about a 1970 Duster my dad had seen sitting in a parking lot (no for sale sign so he left a note stating if interested in sell please contact us @ this #). It was a 318 cloum shift large bolt pattern front disk brake car manual steering and brakes with a 727 and an 8 3/4 sure grip. It had little rust and a faded 10 year old dark green paint job and a shot interior.

The guy had just taken it off the road with no room to store it (lived in an appartment) and no plans to do anything with the car in the foreseeable future. So i test drove it and started with a lower but reasonable offer of $2,800, then I went to $3000 still a no, so up to $3,500 yet again another no so then I went to my limit I was willing to go and offered $4,000 for the car. (which I believe was very fair for both parties involved). He said thanx but not willing to sell just yet.

Now he may have not been ready to part with the car but in my opinoin he just had me take a look at it and such so he could get a rough idea of what it was worth and probobly thought my top offer was too low. Sure enough I talk to my aunt who lives around the corner from this car and it's sitting in the same spot unlicensed doing nothing.

and im sorry to say due to the fact that Mopars are goin for so much more then the other brands combined with the area I live ( central Ontario) not to many cars in decent shape and the ones that are usually are over priced, is making me slowly look for a 71-72 Chevelle. I am Mopar guy through and through but I'm a muscle car guy which includes all brands an if it comes down to no muscle car or getting a GM I'll get the GM cause I'm getting tired of loosing this battle.

No shortage of people asking stupid money for a-bodies these days. Even in a bad economy they aren't cheap.

I see some good deals around Modesto here, and a lot of foreclosed homes, people are losing jobs and selling low.

All I can say is DUH!!

Got into the A body because I could afford it. That was in 92. Now the price of parts is criminal and repressive.

Good luck restoring your Dart on a tight budget.

And yes, I believe the market is being artificially inflated by those who would like to have it that way. Just like oil.

All I know is nobody else will get what's mine in useable condition. I'll personally ensure that.

Looking through a 3 year old "Cars and Parts" price guide,
1970 Dart swinger 2 dr-V8
#1 condition $12,000, #2 condition $8400, #3 condition $5400

Now lets make it a 340 Swinger and the numbers are $20,000, $14,000,$9000

Prices may be up from when you bought your cars but still one of the cheapest in the book.

i say you can get ripped off no doubt , but you pay for what you get. in the short run this dart is too high. but it wouldn't take much to clone it to a 340. that being said you are ahead in the long run. also are you looking to make a profit here or looking to have a car that seems to have less headaches than most? sure there are cheaper darts no doubt, but if you are not into cars and want something turn key that makes you happy then there isn't much wrong in that. how could you put a price on that?....just my 2 cents

I always see people griping about these cars going to high,,,if it is really 16,000 mile car and in perfect condition,,,it isn't really that outrageous,,,how many of you have bought a rustbucket and tried to restore it to very nice condition,,new paint,,new interior,,rebuild motor,,,theres an easy 10 grand right there,,,and to have it have all that and be original,,,not all that rediculous I say,,,I do question the leaf spring stance on a 16,000 mile car,,,a bit saggy,wouldn't you say,,,16 might be a little high,,,but not that much,,,if I was going to pay top dollar,,,I would want to see some serious documenting

I would not pay that and I have a feeling he is not gettin too many calls on it.

When I bought my 71 dart and drove it to work everyone said, wow a granny car... When are you gettin a chevy.

Then I bought the 69 and eveyone thought it was pretty cool. Not so granny like I guess.

I can't see the "granny" cars bringing in big bucks just yet. Look at Mustangs and Corvettes. Everyone owns one and even though their are so many they bring in good money because they are popular. (Just watch Mecum... Every other car is a Corvette) But the onyl Mopars are the E-bodies with big motors.

Some day when we are lookin around and there is no more A bodies to pic from we will sell 70's dart for 20K +... And we will have the last laugh.

I see some good deals around Modesto here, and a lot of foreclosed homes, people are losing jobs and selling low.

I bought my Demon in Modesto. Being my first classic car, I definitely overpaid. But I paid just over a fourth of that Swinger's cost. Mine wasn't running though when I got it.

I was talking to a guy at the local car show last weekend and he said the Mopars prices are really going up here lately. Especially the A bodies. He didn't have a car there or said he had a Mopar. He said for me to hold onto that A body.

What worries me is the back end is squatted like there's 3 or 4 bodies in the trunk

-
Back