A-body 18 spline 4 speed

-

416Todd

Reaction score
I just bought one from a friend .

It's been Pro-shifted by Liberty gear already.

I have no plans on selling it, but what is it worth?

numbers stamped on pad

8 B 3 61022

PP 833 2454 0203

It's a cast iron case

I don't think it was "made up" ...but could be wrong

Todd

If its a short tail 18 spline, its something someone made up. I don't know that there was ever such a thing from the factory.

I could be wrong though.....

I have a 18 spline aluminum case 4 speed proshifted with liberty gears. I paid $1200 for it. the case has been polished but its a crash box type or slick shift in other words and cannot be down shifted.its strictly race but it came out of a 74 dart that went 8.50s 1/4 mile. dont like the liberties as the car kept breaking teeth on the gears until he installed jerico gears in it. maybe ya got a great deal, maybe its not race only, but pro shifted means crash box to me and isnt really built for a street car. if you got a good price on it thats great,if ya dont want it I know a guy who may.

if it came out of a hemi car minus the liberty gears of course there would be an ss on the date pad

The tranny decodes as this:
8=1968
B=Dodge main hamtramck,MI
361022= last 6 digits of the VIN number of the car.
PP=new process plant
833=4 speed tranny
2454=day built=tuesday april 16 1968
The tranny has come from one of two type of cars,1) hemi car,or 2) a 440 car,since its 68,its either one.You need to find out the car with the last 6 digits from the dodge main plant in 68 to comfirm the car.

mrmopartech

Thanks for the replies.

I was curous to see if there was any history to with this tranny.

I've got a Pro-shifted B/E body trans in my race car, so this would be a spare if anything.

how to I go about finding the production info from the plant?

Thanks

Todd

You could get a 440 in a dart,automatic only.And the tranny can be worth big bucks to a 68 4 speed owner that needs that matching tranny,mrmopartech

I bought a aluminum cased Liberty tranny off a guy who bought it new and said he paid 1400.00 new for it, its pro-shifted and a REAL PITA on the street. The best thing to do is get that Passion performance kit that does the same thing but retains your syncros for easy driving, ya have the best of both worlds this way, I thinks its like 298.00. I will NEVER have another RACE only trans.

-
Back