A body 383 block different than others?

-

SEbiscut

Reaction score
I've got a 68 383 4 spd Formula S & was told the driver's side front mount on the original 383 block is different than a non-a body 383 block. Is this true? would a 71 or 72 400 block work w/ the same mounts for the 383? I'm considering saving my original motor & building a 451 stroker. Thanks

I'v only worked with the Abody 383, but there shouldnt be a difference in the mounts, the blocks dont differ that much from each other, it's mostly internal an upper differences

I have never seen a A-body 383 engine but really doubt there is any difference in the blocks. I have read many books and articles of old where famous old racers installed 383's in 67 a-bodys before the factory did and they used standard run of the mill blocks.

I just found out & got some pics of the boss pad on the front driver's side, under the head. There's 2 holes that the front motor mount bolts to on the A body 383. Some 383's have them & some don't . A 400 stroker block might work if it was a truck block w/ AC mounts. Some of these may have the holes, too.

Yes, a factory 383 and 440 block for a dart is unique. The LH mount plate uses a drilled boss on the front of the block, just above the oil pump. But, many other early 383s, 413s, 426 wedges, some 440s, and some 400s all have this to. It is not universal, but is special to factory BB A bodies. Might only have been 68s, I am not familiar enough to say 100%. The adaptor mounts dont use that boss. Only a factory K frame and factory mount adaptor plate does.

Some of the mid 60`s C-body cars will have engines with the drilled bosses on the front as well as some of the mid to late 70`s blocks. HTH.

I have a 69 440 in my original 69 383-S fastback. The 440 had the two bosses and I just drilled and tapped them. Original motor mount fit perfectly.

When I bought my car, it came with a homemade motor mount that extended up to the waterpump and bolted to the front ears on the side of the block. It worked but looked a little weird. I eventually found an original mount and replaced the homemade one.

Hope that helps.\
Rod

Wow learn something new everyday! I know a guy that installed a 440 in a 67 Dart and he wasn't much of a mechanic and it just slipped right in for him so I assumed they were all standard blocks. He must have gotten lucky and got a block with the correctly drilled bosses.

if you do not have the bosses on the engine, just use an a body m code (440) mount. that will work. you just have to drill 2 holes in the oil pump bosses.

My 1974 400 has the drilled bosses on the front of the block below the head.

The late 60's a body mounting bosses are on quite a few and of even later vintage big blocks, mainly 383-400

if you do not have the bosses on the engine, just use an a body m code (440) mount. that will work. you just have to drill 2 holes in the oil pump bosses.

My original M mount is a bastardized homemade looking job. Where or who is reproducing these?

Grant

-
Back