A-body 3rd member swap question.

-

Relax360

Reaction score
I have a question for the A and B Body guys. Might buy a 70 Road Runner I found. It has 4.11 gears in it which aren;t good for daily driving. I have a 3rd member 3.23 ratio in an 67 A-body housing. Is it possible to swap out 3rd members? or is there a parts or alignment conflict?

As long as both rear ends are 8 3/4 then the third members swap it doesn't matter if the rear is from a truck to a cuda... All third members swap over

thanks for the input guys u joints would be easy enough.
Not always. The '70 Road Runner probably has the 2 5/8" (7290) u-joints and the '67 A-body should have the 2 1/8" (7260) u-joint. They do make a conversion joint for that application if that's what you have. If one of the 3rd members has an oddball pinion flange (such as an Imperial or Chrysler w/ CV joints, or an early u-bolt type) you'll probably not find a conversion joint for that. Changing pinion flanges is an option if you have a spare of the correct u-joint type for that particular pinion gear.

thanks for that insight cuda mark. I will look into it if i do go ahead with buying the car. Fortunately a driveshaft shop is right by my house.

-
Back