A-body 4 speed available on E-body

-
Might be 1:1 gears put into an OD case...I have done the opposite out of leftover parts. Friend of mine put it into his wife's '68 318/4sp Barracuda. He loved the OD.

Might be 1:1 gears put into an OD case...I have done the opposite out of leftover parts. Friend of mine put it into his wife's '68 318/4sp Barracuda. He loved the OD.
I believe that's what it is. I have never seen an all aluminum 833 4 speed from the factory. That certainly doesn't mean it's not a nice transmission, though.

I have an aluminum OD case on the shelf. Unfortunately, it has a 26 spline tail house. I've been considering doing a swap in to it.
upload_2022-2-21_14-55-58.png

I think that may have the steel bushing mod for the counter shaft that tightens the fit and keeps it from wallowing out the hole.
Yes, it does appear so.
The curious part on the seller's trans is on the case side to the rear and below the filler plug. It looks repaired to me.

Interesting. I never knew they came in a full case and tail shaft in aluminum.

IDK, maybe a Feather Duster trans? I see Brewers sells the tails, 30 and 26 spline version.

Feather Duster and Dart Lite, and I believe all the later ones. The short tailshaft 833 OD also came in F bodies, and although they short tailshaft 833 OD's started with iron tail housings in A bodies I think by the time they ended with the F bodies they were all aluminum.

Feather Duster and Dart Lite, and I believe all the later ones. The short tailshaft 833 OD also came in F bodies, and although they short tailshaft 833 OD's started with iron tail housings in A bodies I think by the time they ended with the F bodies they were all aluminum.
Now you know, I had not thought of the Feather Duster and Dart Lite. Thanks. I've seen iron and aluminum and all iron, but never all aluminum. ....and I owned a Feather Duster years ago, although it was an automatic car.

1975 OD trans had an all iron case and tail. At least the one I used to replace the 18-spline case with a broken ear was that way.

From what I understand there were also 18-spline 1:1 transmissions available over the counter (Hustle Stuff, Direct Connection). Case parts were available as well. This page is from the 1978 DC catalog.
DC 58.jpg

I had a 1977 Aspen RT 318 with the four-speed. I’m pretty sure that it had an aluminum case but I can’t swear to it it’s been a long time. It got stuck in second gear my dad took it out took it in the work and had his machinist pull it apart and redo the synchros

1975 OD trans had an all iron case and tail. At least the one I used to replace the 18-spline case with a broken ear was that way.

From what I understand there were also 18-spline 1:1 transmissions available over the counter (Hustle Stuff, Direct Connection). Case parts were available as well. This page is from the 1978 DC catalog.
View attachment 1715875346

You’re right! I forgot about the first year ones being all iron. Not sure it lasted the whole production year? Haven’t seen many all iron ones. Actually haven’t seen a ton that were actually A-body, I have a few but they were all the truck version with the B/E body long tail shaft.

I believe that's what it is. I have never seen an all aluminum 833 4 speed from the factory. That certainly doesn't mean it's not a nice transmission, though.
Chrysler offered a non-OD aluminum 833 case as a Direct Connection part in the 70s and I think early 80s.

Chrysler offered a non-OD aluminum 833 case as a Direct Connection part in the 70s and I think early 80s.
Interesting. It's a complete shame what they (don't) offer now, isn't it?

-
Back