A-body Air Grabber??

-
I hope to make that setup look shameful when I do mine. It is very nicely done. I knew that there was vacuum involved somehow. That motor generates vacuum and pulls it up or down. Man, they were obsessed with things sucking in the '70s LOL
:toothy10:

Just my 2 cents - Why make it complicated? You could open/close it with a universal choke cable. It would not open automaticly, but then you wouldn't have to worry about sucking in a bunch of RAIN!

Just my 2 cents - Why make it complicated? You could open/close it with a universal choke cable. It would not open automaticly, but then you wouldn't have to worry about sucking in a bunch of RAIN!
I was gonna put the screen from an ordinary window to keep that from happening on the front of the box. That's a pretty good idea. I was thinking about that, just using some pulleys and an anchor point. I kinda just wanna keep the engine bay clutter free, if you hide the motors inside the scoop, the only thing that can be seen if i do it right will be just a wire running from a hood frame part to into the car.

Hmmm, the numerous ways to do this.

I remember seeing an article around 5 - 6 years ago of a 1972 Demon 340 that had an Air Grabber ( technically , "Ramcharger" on Dodges ) added by Mr. Norms when the car was new .

All I can recall was that the Demon was triple black and was otherwise unmodified ...

There was a gentleman named Roland Dulcos (?sp) who had a Scamp with, IIRC, the Air Grabber setup. The car was featured in Mopar Muscle magazine several years ago. I believe he narrowed a B-Body set up somehow. Try searching www.moparmusclemagazine.com and see what you find.

There was a gentleman named Roland Dulcos (?sp) who had a Scamp with, IIRC, the Air Grabber setup. The car was featured in Mopar Muscle magazine several years ago. I believe he narrowed a B-Body set up somehow. Try searching www.moparmusclemagazine.com and see what you find.
mopp_0111_02_z+1971_plymouth_scamp+right_front_view.jpg

This is Robert Duclos Scamp. Here's the underhood. 8)
mopp_0111_03_z+1971_plymouth_scamp+engine.jpg

Thanks DartGTDan!!:cheers: Pretty cool. I really like the pop-up one better.

I duuno about the screen over th opening. Wont air see this as a restriction?

I duuno about the screen over th opening. Wont air see this as a restriction?
The screen from a window is pretty fine, I dont think it'd be a very noticeable restriction, you can always just keep it closed if it rains or if the forecast says it will. Thats what an electric motor will benefit over the old system, pop it up fast and closed fast

Wouldnt the sucking in water be a problem with any scoop and a ram air box?

I remember seeing an article around 5 - 6 years ago of a 1972 Demon 340 that had an Air Grabber ( technically , "Ramcharger" on Dodges ) added by Mr. Norms when the car was new .

All I can recall was that the Demon was triple black and was otherwise unmodified ...
This one right here?
mopp_0403_01_z+1972_dodge_demon_340+front_drivers_side_view.jpg

8)

DarTT - that certainly looks like the one !

Anyone else note the FJ6 Scamp has a 383 ? At least I believe it's a 383 , from what I remember from the original article ... It also has a Pistol Grip shifter .
The car was a survivor of one of the Hurricanes ; it came from Florida .

DarTT - that certainly looks like the one !

Anyone else note the FJ6 Scamp has a 383 ? At least I believe it's a 383 , from what I remember from the original article ... It also has a Pistol Grip shifter .
The car was a survivor of one of the Hurricanes ; it came from Florida .
"You see, Roland owns one of these oft-overlooked Plymouths, except his deserves a second look. We spotted his little ride at Moroso Motorsports Park during the Hot Rod Power Fest and literally stopped dead in our tracks. At first glance, if you didn't know any better, you'd think it was a factory-built car. The fit and finish is that nice, but whoa, what's this? Underneath the bonnet is a complete, functional Air Grabber hood from a donor B-Body. Beneath the lid is a '70 383 that now displaces an extra 6 ci (yeah, as if 383 weren't enough in a Scamp). The bores are filled with forged 10.5:1 slugs rapidly rotating on the stock rods and crankshaft."

And yep! It has a Pistol Grip 4 speed too!
Here's the link to the article on it8)
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/featuredvehicles/a_body/mopp_0111_1971_plymouth_scamp/index.html

And the Demon was a survivor of the flood, some think it was a GSS, but it is definately a car that came from the corner of Grand & Spaulding, where some real big Mopar history went down:cheers:
Here's that article
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/featuredvehicles/mopp_0403_1972_dodge_demon_340/index.html

Not to jack a thread here or anything but it seem about grabbing air right, so any a-bodies out there with a full shaker setup?

That motor generates vacuum and pulls it up or down. Man, they were obsessed with things sucking in the '70s LOL
:toothy10:

The scoop would come up when there was no or little vacuum and close when there is high vacuum.

The screen from a window is pretty fine, I dont think it'd be a very noticeable restriction, you can always just keep it closed if it rains or if the forecast says it will. Thats what an electric motor will benefit over the old system, pop it up fast and closed fast

Wouldnt the sucking in water be a problem with any scoop and a ram air box?

I used to work in a factory & we had some big fans on stands that we could move to where we were working to help keep us cool. They were something that had been rigged up years ago by the maintenance department & apparently had been modified at the behest of the safety nazis at the plant. Originally the fans had cages around them made of expanded metal. Somebody must've been afraid we'd stick our fingers in there so they had them cover over that with 1/4" mesh screen. Later on that was covered over with another layer of some other screening. The fans wouldn't work worth a damn! One day our foreman had somebody cut all of the screening off & just leave the expanded metal. It was amazing how much better the fans worked. The screen WAS restrictive.

The AAR Cuda & T/A Challenger had open scoops that were sealed to the air cleaner. The only thing the factory did to handle the water was to extend the outer lip of the air cleaner lid out about a quarter inch & leave a bit of a drip edge, as well as put water drains on the base plate. Closing the scoop in heavy rain is still probably a good idea. Some Mopar air grabber air cleaners also had a shield across the front of the element to protect it from water that came in through the scoop.

Sure can understand the mesh being a restriction,which is why I said something. Truckers tend to use it across thier grilles to cut down on air flow thru thier rads in the winter.

why not just make it electric and be able to open and close it as you see fit?
I think the hardest thing about the shaker is the hood for a 70-72 duster.

Positive air pressure and cool air is what we want, yes they had water gutters, But it was the fresh positive cool air they was after ... and it does make a big deference at when it is 200 degrees and over under the hood and to have positive pressure at the carb was another + and mother MoPar dun it well 8)

The scoop would come up when there was no or little vacuum and close when there is high vacuum.
On the air grabber hood or the chevelle? The air grabber, the pop up one, opens on command from what I have seen in the videos floating around the net. I was talking about that little vacuum motor you seen under the hood of the Duster.

Thanks you guys for the heads up on the mesh thing. Saved me a big hassle there!

@64 Cuda, thank you for the information. That is probably why most of the guys running air grabbers and scoops aren't running the Xtreme flow tops from K&N, huh? I was gonna put a water drain on the fresh air box/aircleaner base I fabricate up just incase of water rushing in

@1970Duster. That's the plan. I am just gonna take some plastic stock and make some toothed strips and some gears for the motor/motors and match them up. Also gonna hide them inside the scoop system so it will stay looking clean under the hood.

Positive air pressure and cool air is what we want, yes they had water gutters, But it was the fresh positive cool air they was after ... and it does make a big deference at when it is 200 degrees and over under the hood and to have positive pressure at the carb was another + and mother MoPar dun it well 8)
Yep, and the cars still were beating Chevys and Fords:happy10:

I don't care lol. I just learned thanks to you we can have a trunk popper for our A-bodies. How did you do that? I'm just gonna jack my own thread now, thanks:toothy10:LOL

Most any Mopars have them and they bolt right up. Mine is from an f body but all your diplomats and more had them :happy10:

-
Back