A-Body Console Shift Access Hole location

-

scottylack

Reaction score
can anyone give me a location of where exactly the access hole should be on a floor shift console? Put in complete floors and need to cut it out. Thanks!

Aftermarket reproduction pans were not stamped for this? Should have been a center punch mark for the large hole and 3 punch marks around that for the boot screws. My issue with the OEM pan was the large hole diameter ( 4 inches maybe I forget ). Very few of us have a hole saw that large. I ended up with a oval shaped hole. Worked fine with less sheet metal cut away.

There is a round indention on the driver side of the trans tunnel where the floor shifter will go through to the trans for an automatic and I believe it is the same for the manual trans too.

Here are some pics of both an auto and manual trans locations. The 1st picture you can see the round indention I'm talking about where the shifter linkages go through the floor. This one is not cut out because it was a column shift car. The other 2 are the same car being converted to manual. One of the inside of the car and the other from under the car.

Photo credits to @CrOoKs

auto trans.JPG

manual trans 2.JPG

manual trans.JPG

My rides a 65. Would that be there? I haven't taken carpet out yet
I'm not too familiar with the a body sheet metal prior to 67, but I think the coffin consoles were used prior to 67 I believe (not sure how much earlier though) so i would think the floor pans may be the same.

Just pull the carpet and find out. :lol:

66 was the 1st year of the "coffin" console. Your 65 uses a smaller console from the factory.

What console are you using?

Your 65 will not have any cutout markings on the tunnel since it never used the coffin console as I found out in 84. Best is to mount the thransmission with the bracket for the downrod. Mark the tunnel from underneath then Start with a small hole and if needed go a little larger in stages. Then you can start mocking up on the topside.

Your 65 will not have any cutout markings on the tunnel since it never used the coffin console as I found out in 84. Best is to mount the thransmission with the bracket for the downrod. Mark the tunnel from underneath then Start with a small hole and if needed go a little larger in stages. Then you can start mocking up on the topside.
Gotcha!!! Thank you

-
Back