A-body donor car parts list - would anyone be interested?

-

RSie

Idiot In Training
Reaction score
I'm thinking about putting together a list of parts we can use from other cars, just wondering if there would be any interest in it before I start doing it.
Example of what I mean:
I saw on craigslist a guy not too far from me had a 5th Ave for sale for 300 bucks. 318, car ran two years ago. If I bought it, what parts can I use besides the engine? Rear end, and what mods do I have to make to use it? Brake parts.. can I use any of those? Can I snag some parts that I can't use, but someone else would buy from me, like a b-body or c-body guy? Pull those before I junk it out?
Another example: A guy down the street has a ford explorer wasting away in his yard... what can I use or sell from that?
I think it'd be nice to pull up a list and see if, say I guy I know is junking out a 78 Buick.. is there anything I can snag before it's gone? Look at the list and see I can use this part or that part.
I'd put all in a list, spreadsheet or pdf.
Don't post these on here, if there's interest I'll put up a separate post. If there's enough interest I'll put it together.

front brakes,engine,trans,rear axle if you put new perches on and use the modern wheels with lots of backspacing,wheels. That's about it from the 5th

front brakes,engine,trans,rear axle if you put new perches on and use the modern wheels with lots of backspacing,wheels. That's about it from the 5th
Don't post these on here, if there's interest I'll put up a separate post. If there's enough interest I'll put it together.

Would those super comfy electric seats work in a 4dr Dart? Maybe you didn't use them, but another guy did.. stuff like that in the list. Just wondering if there would be enough interest to put together something.

Exploder, about the only thing worth a chit is the 8.8 rear if its disc brake, and a locker.

I think that you have a good idea. I have a friend that has three junk yards that he sells parts from at a very reasonable price. If I knew what parts where interchangeable or really sought after I could pick them up and store them for people that may need them before they go to the crusher! I have been purchasing sets of bucket seats with integrated seat belts and putting them up.

FMJ body spindles, dust shields, and caliper brackets fit A body. 78-79 B body caliper brackets and 2.75" calipers will fit FMJ body spindles and allow you to use cordoba big brakes.

Yes please do it ! That’s what you want right ,a clear answer please DO It !

My opinion only, No!

It has a lot of complications that go with it and leads folks to believe they can just bolt this or that and go. This is far from the real truth! Know your car and do the research. Many things may fit but require other things to really work correctly. A journal as such would be very complicated with a lot of, if and or buts!

My opinion only, No!

It has a lot of complications that go with it and leads folks to believe they can just bolt this or that and go. This is far from the real truth! Know your car and do the research. Many things may fit but require other things to really work correctly. A journal as such would be very complicated with a lot of, if and or buts!
It’s called hot roding maker fit if it’s close ,giver

the old Hollander interchange books can still be found from ebay or used book stores.

the old Hollander interchange books can still be found from ebay or used book stores.
And thats great except when.cutting down an explorer 8.8 for use under an A body. Hollander wont list that part as a crossover, thats one of those hot rodding make it fit things.

Incidentally a buddy of mine just used an explorer 8.8 under his V8 S-10 project. Didnt even have to move the spring perches. They were the exact width for his S-10. Of course he redrilled everything for a chevy pattern for his wheels, but it was a bolt in.

I helped a buddy years ago to put a 79 dodge 115" wheelbase truck frame under a 1963 dodge town panel. He was lowering and kinda rat rodding it. So i'm at the scrapyard and come across a ford 8" rear from a 67 mustang. Perches were same width as 79 dodge truck and the mounts were below the axle tube, so it was an instant 3" drop in the rear. None of this crazy chit would be in a hollander book.

My opinion only, No!

Some good points here. It'd have to have a huge disclaimer at the top that this is not an install guide, and that you still have to research what you are thinking (maybe in a huge red font, underlined, capitalized and lotsa exclamation points!). I was also thinking of having a box where it's marked as bolt-in, minor mods required, or major mods required. A notes area with a few notes an/or links to posts where it's been done. I agree it'd be impossible to list every scenario, and trying to do so would have me writing a dictionary.

Some good points here. It'd have to have a huge disclaimer at the top that this is not an install guide, and that you still have to research what you are thinking (maybe in a huge red font, underlined, capitalized and lotsa exclamation points!). I was also thinking of having a box where it's marked as bolt-in, minor mods required, or major mods required. A notes area with a few notes an/or links to posts where it's been done. I agree it'd be impossible to list every scenario, and trying to do so would have me writing a dictionary.

Do this at your own risk !!! Lol

I'm still thinking of doing this.. just a lot of other stuff going on right now. Trying to dig my way out of the crap in the garage that accumulated over the winter.. and of course the wifey has lotsa spring 'honey-do' projects for me, lol.

Would those super comfy electric seats work in a 4dr Dart? Maybe you didn't use them, but another guy did.. stuff like that in the list. Just wondering if there would be enough interest to put together something.

I remember my step-daughter telling me she loved to ride in the comfy couch car (85 fifth ave) one day I got a wild hair up my butt and traded it in on a new street bike.
My wife asked me the next day where was our big car?
I said I traded it in on a new motorcycle.
She said we are really going to need it, I am pregnant.
We were both married before, and had two kids each, so every other weekend we were going to have 5 kids.
Yes I caved and bought the mini van, which she hated, lesson learned if I would have said something to the wife before trading it in, I would have saved a butt load of money keeping the old comfy couch.

-
Back