A Body Firewall Insulation, HELP! PIC's

-

jamesfillmore

FABO Vendor
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
I'm working on A Body firewall insulation and need some help. I want to make a more correct offering. I have collected a few firewall insulation sets and need some help identifying the pieces and the years they are used on. I could also use any pictures showing the firewall in the car. Prefer OEM insulation pictures.

First I have 2 of the large Non A/C pieces. The top one I have marked 74 AC. IF this is an AC then it's probably 73-74. 75-76 used a rubber covered shoddy type insulation. 67-72 A body A/C consists of 4 smaller pieces.

Second are the 3 different pieces that go over the the brake pedal brackets. The top I think is early. It has just a round hole (anyone know what goes thru that hole) and is missing the perfed corner in the upper right.
The middle is later that the first. It has the perfed corner (anyone know what that perf would be for) and the round hole is now teardrop (anyone know why).
The bottom again is marked 74 so I'm assuming 73-74. Similar to the middle except the perfed part on the lower left is different.

Lastly are the pieces that go above the kickpanels. Anyone have a picture of these installed in the car? They are marked DRVR and PASS.

Thanks! Jim Fillmore - Detroit Muscle Technologies

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 609
  • photo 2.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 566
  • photo 3.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 516
69 barracuda. I have the kick panel pieces at home and can take pics if you need. Also attached is factory jute under layment mostly whole. Dont know if you or others would like for reproduction.

I no longer have later than 70 example here. I don't know what still exists in my pre 70 examples either. It's supposed to warm up over the weekend so I can have a look.
I have to assume any changes in the insulation were related to changes in other equipment. Like when a remote hood release was added that cable needed to pass through somewhere.
A foot operated park brake mechanism appeared around 75 too.
Sometime around 1972 a aftermarket vendor built and supplied a a/c package for dealer install. At first glance looked identical to the factory a/c . Perforated break outs in insulation may have been related to this.
All just edumacated guesses :)

Looks like in your 69, the smaller piece that goes over the brake pedal bracket has the round hold, not the teardrop. Again, anyone know why the teardrop as opposed to the hole? UPDATE - On second thought thats IS probably the teardrop. Cause according to my 3 pieces, the piece with the round hole doesn't have that perf by the foot pump. This 69 clearly has the perf by the foot pump.

Also looks like the perfed corner was perfed on this 69 piece but not broken out. I would think that perf would have actually been REMOVED for the foot pump washer. Looks like on the what I'm assuming is the "early version" version of that piece (in my pictures at the top of this post) the perf isn't even there. Did they add the foot pump after a certain year? That perfed part would probably allow access to the mounting screws for the foot pump.

Oh and THANKS for the pictures! I don't need the actual kickpanel pictures but I could used pictures of where those 2 smaller pieces went. I know the go above the kickpanels. All Mopars had them in various shapes.

Shoddy pad & undercarpet Jute - I'd be interested in purchasing that Jute. I just purchased a container of custom made shoddy and that Jute. I have been rolling out my line of very correct shoddy pad both in shape and material. I'll be listing my NEW 67-74 A body shoddy this weekend.

Jim Fillmore

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 786
Again just edumacated guesswork.
That hole at the throttle cable could have been changed for nothing more than tool clearance. The round hole doesn't provide a route for the clip sitting right against the firewall to enter/exit.

You mean the parking brake cable. Looks like thats the parking brake cable that goes thru the round or later teardrop hole.

I'd also be curious what the heck all the perfs are on that smaller triangular shaped outrigger of the brake bracket insulation piece. Those perfs would all be in the accel cable area.

Also looks like in the the bottom piece I have marked 74 DUST, the teardrop hole has a factory slit. Like the parking brake cable was installed FIRST, then the insulation was put in place.

James,

I did not take pictures of the 2 smaller pieces but do have them and know which side they came from. Can photo and reference for you.

PM me on the jute it is folded and bagged. I need a few more pieces you offer and maybe we can trade. Also have the original plastic door shields and quarter shields you may or may not reproduce.

-
Back