A Body Fuel Tank "Map"

-

"Dart67"

Reaction score
I made this "map" up sometime back and have been meaning to share it here.

This "map" was made using an old fuel tank from a 1967 Dodge Dart. See attachment..

I cut a hole in the top and positioned the tank as if it was mounted in the car.

I then added 1 Gallon of water at a time and measure from the bottom of the tank to the water level each time until Full for the measurements.

I then built a holding fixture from some left over 5/4" x 6" deck boards to hold the sender unit.

The bottom board needs to be long enough for the fixture to set firm and not tip.
The upright board was cut the length of the height of the tank plus the thickness of the bottom board. The screwed to the bottom board to form a 90 degree angle.

I used a 2" hole saw to cut a hole at the "Tank Center Mounting position with a 2 slot to one side so that the sending unit could be easily mounted.
I used 3 flat headed sheet metal screws to secure the sending unit to the board. Two screws towards the bottom and one screw at the top.
I also added a 1/4" x 1 1/2" strip of wood behind the "map". Then detirmined roughly where the float "floated" on the fuel and drilled an 1/8" hole at each 1/8th tank position for calibrating the gauge with my "G.a.S. Matcher" calibration unit.

See this post for photos: Fuel Sending Units and A-Body Fuel Tank Map

Attachments

• A Body Fuel Tank Map.pdf
    13.2 KB · Views: 167
I an in Arkansas right now figuring out what to do with my 91 year old mother. Wish I had time to stop by and see you!

It would be nice to see and visit with you, But Mom comes first.
Let me know if you think you can get over this way.

Do you still have my phone number and address?

-
Back