A-body gas tank question

-

superbyrd

Reaction score
are 64-76 A-body gas tank pretty much the same? i mean,from everything i can find on them, the earlier ones are 18 gallon,71 and up are 16 gallon,and then there are the different numbers of evaporative tubes,earlier with 2" fill hole. but my question really is, all the repros are dimensionally the same!!! they all have the same tire well dent,and all the posted dimensions are the same measurements whether its for a 64 or a 76. so,will the same tank for say a 65 valiant,go in a 74 dart? of course,with minor tweaks ?

They'll all conform to the same contour of the body but some would need major mods to work right. '64-6 use a single transverse mounting strap with a small diameter filler neck. '67 is single strap but started the big filler neck. '68-early '70 are dual for/aft straps with no vent tube. Late 70-some '71's have 4 vents tubes. Late '71-6 have 1 vent tube. If you want to play around with modifying straps, filler necks/grommets, and venting, sure....knock yourself out.....but since they're all available new for about the same price, why not get the correct one???

i have a friend that is parting a 65 valiant,and it has a nice,clean gas tank under it,that he is giving to me for free,was going to see if i could use it under a 73-74 darts sport. oh well,lol. i'll buy new then.

-
Back