A body MOPAR into 55 Dodge

-

jcreddd

Reaction score
I'm currently ressurecting a 55 Dodge convertible that I started to street rod over 25 years ago. I was wanting input on which K member and engine would be the best fit. At my age all I want now is a cool looking cruiser. Does not need to be a rock crusher.

The logical swap would be a front subframe from a F, J or M body. Lots of 82-87 5th Avenues and Diplomats in junkyards. Measure the track width and frame rail spacing on your 55 and then go to your local pick & pull.

aspen/volare(F body) or the ones meationed above (5th Avenues and Diplomats) will fit, also if you want disc brakes and rack and pinion steering you can cut the front section from a 2wd dakota (same width)

heres a picture showing details of a 56 (same frame) and a 92 dakota being joined together, the 56 frame is blue and the dakota frame is black

Attachments

• 56PlymouthFrame.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 129
I had used a diplomatfront framerails and all on my dad's 56 belvedere...cut the frame rails in a z fashion, weld them back together and fish plate them. I will try to get the measurements and some pic's very neat installation

Welcome to FABO from SoCal. You're going to have fun here!
Your '55 sounds like a fun project. Should be a sweet cruiser with either a 318 or 360. Post pics as you progress with your build.

-
Back