A-Body nightmare at Home Depot

-

Schaffman

Reaction score
Not my car but saw this and thought I would share.

Classic car is crushed in parking lot mishap
18-wheeler hits 1968 Plymouth
Friday, January 11, 2008
By Jeff Adelson
It was the death of a classic in the parking lot of a Slidell Home Depot on Thursday when the trailer of an 18-wheeler smashed a parked 1968 Plymouth Valiant.
No one was injured in the 5 p.m. accident, which crushed the green Plymouth and dragged it four feet from its parking spot in front of the store on Northshore Boulevard. The car ended up wedged under the truck's trailer with its passenger side wheels in the air.
"I just got half the stuff I needed to get it where I wanted," said Pat Boyle, the Home Depot contractor services employee who spent a year and $10,000 restoring the car. "I guess I can't finish it now. I don't know what I'm going to do."

Vera Shed, a trainee from Texas with the trucking company Werner Enterprises, was driving the truck through the parking lot headed to the back of the store when she turned into one of the rows of parking spaces, Slidell police officer Shawn Bartley said. During the turn the trailer caught the hood of the Plymouth, crushing its front end and smashing its windshield.
"This is the first time I've ever seen anything like this," Bartley said.
Shed was being supervised by a more experienced driver, Jesus Alfaro, during the accident. Shed and Alfaro declined to comment on the accident Thursday.
The truckers told police that they didn't see the car, Bartley said. Because both vehicles were on private property, Bartley said he could not issue any citations for the accident.
Boyle said he normally would have been in his car by 5 p.m. but had been delayed at work. He parked his car far from the building both to leave spaces for customers and protect it from errant car doors.
"Just the fact that it's a classic makes this horrible," Boyle said

According to the date and time it hasn't even happened yet! It's Fri. Jan. 11 10:30 a.m.!
Guess he still has time to save it!

According to the date and time it hasn't even happened yet! It's Fri. Jan. 11 10:30 a.m.!
Guess he still has time to save it!

So the post is a preview of a horror movie comming soon to a parking lot near you ? LMAO

Story was written on Fri the 11th, but it says it happened Thurs.

That sucks for that guy. I belive a moment of silence is in order.

Yeah, that sucks.
I had almost the same thing happen to me. I worked as an RV tech at a large RV dealership. My dumb *** boss was backing up a lare diesel pusher motorhome through the front gate when he cut the wheel and caught the left rear quarter of my minty-rust free 67 Dart 270. He large tire rolled up on it a bit and flattened the edge of the quarter and pushed in the side. Idiot then comes in and as I'm under something working he says "Is that car of yours a classic?" I wanted to kill him. I made him pay a decent amount to cover what it would cost me to have it done at a restoration shop, but was so discouraged with the car at that point that I sold it a short time later.

Anyone that delivers to a Home Depot or Lowes in a truck bigger than 16,000GVW should know that you NEVER drive infront of the store or throught the parking lot. Most of them have delivery driveways in the back.

You said a less experienced driver was being supervised by a senior driver?

Call a lawyer... and make certain to mention Barrett-Jackson and let all that hype WORK FOR YOU in a settlement. Especially with all the media coverage of how Mopar prices are escalating out of site! Just like the uninformed with a 4dr. Dart that thinks his is worth $100,000 because he saw a Hemi version on auction now thinks HIS is worth as much. Again, let the hype work in your favor and do your homework. This is also a good time to mention that everyone should have one of those disposable cameras in the glove box or in the trunk. Just in case you have to prove some facts.

This is exactly the kind of stories I hear that makes me afraid to take my car out once it's done. Scares the Hell outta me..... :pale:

sht happens.
First 2 cars ever built ran into one another.
Even in the Bible @ Nahum 2;4
We're sposed to have blind faith and face or fears
head on. Agreed it aint easy.
More fun in the long run.

I had my barracuda out around 9 years ago went to the local radio shack in a small mall parking lot. I was parked on the end spot and thought I would only be a minute . So I walk away come back like 5 minutes later and theres a bunch of people standing around my car .I thought they were just looking then all of a sudden I realized they were just looking at the hugh DENT someone had just put in the drivers side door . The person that hit me had backed into my car and just pulled away like nothing had happened , luckily a group of the people had taken down the plate # and make and model of the car which had just left without even looking at the damage they had done . I called the local police filled out the needed paper work and gave them the info on the other driver contacted my insurance company at the time and filed a claim . the damage was dead center on the door so it was pushed out with little damage to the sheet metal but the paint was f 'ed up the insurance covered the damage and I had the entire car painted after that . I still am thankful to the people that stuck around and gave me the careless asses info . They denied that they did the damage to the car but that was'nt for me to worry about . Now when the car comes out and goes any where it goes in the spot all the way away from any other cars and I'll be an ahole and take two spots .......
1968barracuda003.jpg

Hell, people have been killed in Home depot. You need to be very careful in and around there. When a guy was in 1 lane on the store, some workers were on the next lane over with a hi-low getting something up high, they pushed a item over and it fell in the next lane over on top of a guy and killed him. Theres been a few deaths like that.

lesson, you do not take your kids, classic car, wife--well, anything that you love to home depot, place is bad news waiting to happen.

The guy was probably delayed leaving because he had one last truck to unload...the one that ran his car over!

That would suck big time, and the sad part is there is no amount of money that will bring the car back, Just a total waste of a true classic car. Yeah I hope it socks it to them for what they did.

No matter how hard you try someone is bound to get you sooner or latter, sounds like the luck I would have, kind of makes you worry about taking your own out when completed. He should get fair value for it and his time put in to restore it, not to mention pain and suffering. Now I don't know about you but that is not the kind of senior driver I would want training my drivers. They both didn't see it. Hey we are not talking a silver 1999 honda civic here. Doesn't matter who you are, cars like this stand out and demand attention, especially when they are in a parking area where there are not many if any other vehicles. Kind of makes you wonder don't it??:wack:

You have a truly beautiful car. I just don't know what I would have done if someone had run into it while I was there, even though it's not mine, but the color of their face may have well matched your paint job. Sorry to hear that you had to go through that.

Lets hope she doesnt actually become a fully licensed truck driver...

And her trainer should have known better.

I would sue.

They will have to sue, unless the trucking company is cool. Home Depot sure is not, they won' give anything without a fight.

You all hear about the customer who put a pencil in his pocket after measuring a piece of wood and cutting it and walked out of the store after buying the cut wood ? Home Depot told him he shoplifted it and was not to ever return to any Home Depot stores! Guy was like 60 years old, never done anything wrong in his life, he claims he did not mean too steal it--was worth like 10 cents.

After the story hit the national press, Home Depot said they made a mistake and he is welcome to shop again at their stores.

Home Depot is right up there with Wal Mart and Wallgreens, SOB places...they have what you need at good prices but are real jerks of a company.

Here it is, oh it was worth 41 cents HD claimed

http://www.lpinformation.com/Default.aspx?tabid=70&forumid=3&postid=3602&view=topic

-
Back