A body parts availability

-

drpreposterous

Reaction score
Help the ignorant here, please! I'm looking to pick up a new toy next spring (it's been eight years for me!). Now, I'm not skilled as many of you are in keeping old rides going. And it takes no crystal ball to reckon Mopar collector cars--no matter whether they're A, B, C, E or FMJ bodies--are not as easy to find parts for as collector Mustangs, Camaros, Corvairs, Bel Airs or even Studebakers. But are there any Mopar collectibles (I even go as far as K and P body cars!) that aren't a bear to find parts for? I've looked through Rock Auto's site, comparing the availability of given parts, but that's not yielding any clear signs for me. All opinions appreciated!

you can pretty much build an E body from a catalog these days.

B's have an enormous following, and a price tag to match. but also tons of parts.

most of the 2nd gen 67~72 A's aren't too bad, but you'll run into "one year only" stuff with pretty much any make/model. however, in that set the darts enjoy the most cross pollination of any of the bodies.

trim and interior will absolutely kill you so try and find one as complete and decent as you can to start with.

Mtr said,Sell the farm and invest in dusters

Ya, but the Plymouth variety, right?

Palouse-4935.jpg

There was a vintage Plymouth Duster called the crop duster also and it toured around the South here

Parts aren't bad for the more popular stuff, BUT with any classic car buy the most complete version you can. If you avoid rust and major body damage you will be money ahead. A done car is almost always less expensive than restoring one, but you may not find one that checks all your boxes. Even in 1983 we bought the most complete Dart convertible we could find in our price range. It just happened to be a '68 340 GTS. It was rough, but it was all there.

I absolutely agree with all the above. FMJ parts are harder to find but not impossible. E's and B's can be expensive. Like sometimes crazy expensive. C's can be had cheap in very good shape if you want a land yacht, and they are oh-so-cool. I've seen plenty of really nice turn-key C's for less than 5K. With the A's the early stuff is sorta hit and miss for parts. 67+ are a lot easier.

If you're determined to have a "correct" car the price tag goes WAY up. If you're like me, I drive them and don't get too excited if I scab something off another car for mine. As long as it works decent and looks OK I'm a happy camper.

Rust is your enemy. Missing parts aren't much better. The small stuff adds up quickly and can get you upside down in a hurry. Ask me how I know! :BangHead: I have 17K in parts ready to go on a 2K car that will never be worth anything near what I'll have in it. But it will be done the way I want and I intend to drive it till I drop.

Before you buy something, it's not a bad idea to shoot your thoughts out for specific feedback from the group. One of my cars is a one-year-only, and I bought an entire matching parts car just so I could have a junkyard in my back yard.

Based on the fact that you admit you are not a skilled mechanic, I would recommend buying the nicest car you can possibly afford. A very nice car will require less repairs, and, therefore, less parts.

-
Back