A body value

-
It seems like the 340 cars are definitely getting more than the others. Inalways wonder what a non original one would bring. Not that I am selling mine, but I'm not sure what it should be insured for. It's much easier to find a price for a mostly stock one, but not for modifies ones.

Original low mileage cars bring in good money ,than really good restorations etc. there are quite a few clone cars etc. Just have to know what you are looking at how it's equipped to gauge what you'd pay etc. I argued with a guy who had a clone who said "no its original.." he's 5 years older than me but I said "I'm pretty sure they didn't paint the top of the interior doors body color..." car was lime green exterior with door tops and dash lime green "yah ok, its original pal..." :thumbsup: too mny are getting into Mopars late and they think they are gold.

It seems like the 340 cars are definitely getting more than the others. Inalways wonder what a non original one would bring. Not that I am selling mine, but I'm not sure what it should be insured for. It's much easier to find a price for a mostly stock one, but not for modifies ones.
I think if you are letting one go with a 340 in it that should be in the price. if the buyer isn't ponying up the cabbage, yank the engine and drop a 318 or 360 in it. This is on a non original car and IMO.

I think if you are letting one go with a 340 in it that should be in the price. if the buyer isn't ponying up the cabbage, yank the engine and drop a 318 or 360 in it. This is on a non original car and IMO.

I don't plan on selling it, but mine has a 440 in it. You don't see too many for sale with big blocks that aren't drag cars, and built as such. Mine is a 440, 833, minitubbed, with QA1 suspension, 4 wheel disc breaks, a full interior, console... Kind of a mis-match, nothing is original, maybe the door panels, and the dash, which has been cut for a modern radio. I assume it's in the 22-26k range.

I don't plan on selling it, but mine has a 440 in it. You don't see too many for sale with big blocks that aren't drag cars, and built as such. Mine is a 440, 833, minitubbed, with QA1 suspension, 4 wheel disc breaks, a full interior, console... Kind of a mis-match, nothing is original, maybe the door panels, and the dash, which has been cut for a modern radio. I assume it's in the 22-26k range.
I would agree based on the drivetrain and, if you have the body and interior done nice that's a done deal IMO. Timing is key. If the economy tanks like they say it will, the market will be flooded with cars. the classics if they are nice will hold value IMO. Its just that people locally may buy a cheap modern mustang or challenger if they see one first. I feel like this is where its heading but its just a feeling I'm no expert. i am already seeing alot of cars and "projects" on Craigslist for example. CL isn't a standard to measure by but there are alot of cars floating around there. Also alot of ridiculous prices LOL!

I would agree based on the drivetrain and, if you have the body and interior done nice that's a done deal IMO.

The body is clean, 0 rust, pretty sure its all original metal too. Interior is clean, has some older velour looking seats in it, but everything is in great shape. Interior pic is old, has a console and a stick shift now. Car was a manual from the factory, so the tunnel metal is all stock as well and those chrome pedal covers are long gone!! lol Dash is a full set of autometer gauges in their panel now too. no more monster tach hanging out up top.

20210716_183414.jpg

20210825_172835.jpg

DSCN1172.JPG

I am not trying to sell my car here but yes it has ps, pb, ac, it will need paint and interior work. It is a good solid car. What I am saying is there are deals to be had .

If you are looking for an optioned out car that needs nothing, you are going to have to pay.

I would say it’s cheaper in the long run to buy a car that needs nothing or is already done.

Some people prefer to do it their own way.

Paint and body is expensive and time consuming. This is something to consider. If you buy a car that needs the paint and body work and are planning to take it to a shop it may be there months to years. It may be best to find one that has been done in the color you want and just pony up the cash. drive it and fix the little things. Engine and trans swaps are doable at home but the rotisserie restos and all that you need time money and ambition to do it yourself. It really depends on how far you want to go you can buy a HF gun and paint at auto zone and do a cheapie paint job also but if you envision a nice base clear car with a vinyl top and stripe thats a bit more... an example of a uy who does resto work is My Friend pete on Youtube. he has cars that have been in his shof for years,he does good work but is getting older so he isnt turing it out like a bakers dozen every day. But thats how it is if you plan on paying someone to do you paint and body. The last tine I tried to have body work done on my 98 Mustang the guy said he does "only collision work" and sent me off to talk to someone else. at the time i wanted a door blended in as the paint was bubbling up. it was $1100 15 years ago and the guy couldnt get me in right away.

Last edited:
I am not trying to sell my car here but yes it has ps, pb, ac, it will need paint and interior work. It is a good solid car. What I am saying is there are deals to be had .

If you are looking for an optioned out car that needs nothing, you are going to have to pay.

I would say it’s cheaper in the long run to buy a car that needs nothing or is already done.

Some people prefer to do it their own way.
Id much rather buy a car like yours and build it to what I want.
Does it need body work and paint? Does it have working ac,ps, db? The 72 doesn't need anything.
No, You hope it doesn't need anything. You made a point of saying about not being able to travel, you are beyond foolish is you buy that car or any car sight unseen......Find a reliable experienced person to evaluate the car at the very least and pay what that costs

Id much rather buy a car like yours and build it to what I want.

No, You hope it doesn't need anything. You made a point of saying about not being able to travel, you are beyond foolish is you buy that car or any car sight unseen......Find a reliable experienced person to evaluate the car at the very least and pay what that costs
I'll use a insured inspector. I'm also looking at flying to see it

I am glad all of my cars are finished and need nothing but a nice day to be driven. Now my van is a different story, it is so close to being done I can taste it.

I see people asking a lot of money for cars these days, but what are they really selling them for?

I see people asking a lot of money for cars these days, but what are they really selling them for?
A guy on craigslist had a 1974 duster that needed work, he was asking $6500 for it and wouldn't take offers I don't know what he got for it but I do know that he had it for sale for 4 years. I offered him 6k and he said no. I bet that he got less than he was asking for it

I think that the prices being asked for some of the A bodies is outta sight. The 1972 dart I'm looking at is the most reasonable priced car I've seen in a while. Going by the video, I'd say that it's worth it

I think that the prices being asked for some of the A bodies is outta sight. The 1972 dart I'm looking at is the most reasonable priced car I've seen in a while. Going by the video, I'd say that it's worth it
Then pull the trigger.
What's stopping you?

I think a lot of it is generational. Guys that are getting into their late 30s-40s that finally have the money for a hot rod do not know about the negative a body stigma from the 1970s-80s, they are just good looking muscle cars to them.

Same with AMC cars. The Javelin, AMX, etc. Younger guys don't see AMC as the red headed stepchild of the American auto industry the same way most older people would.

When it comes to muscle era Mopars, the A body stigma has always been a big joke to me. A, B, and E are all the same underneath; there's nothing radically different about any of them.

Then pull the trigger.
What's stopping you?
I'm in the process of getting the financing, I have to be able to buy it and get it here and then get it legal. I'm not one of those people who wait 30 plus days to get it on the road legally. If it was local it would be easier but we can't have everything and I'm not going to bother the man till I have the funds to back up my mouth. I have money to work with but not enough to buy it and get it here. Hopefully soon

Same with AMC cars. The Javelin, AMX, etc. Younger guys don't see AMC as the red headed stepchild of the American auto industry the same way most older people would.

When it comes to muscle era Mopars, the A body stigma has always been a big joke to me. A, B, and E are all the same underneath; there's nothing radically different about any of them.
The A body is lighter, thus faster per cubic inch or per H.P.
It is also cheaper and easier to find affordable parts for.

I always liked the AMX cars. I remember missing a deal on a Mark Donahue Replica when in High school in the 80's because Dad would not loan me the cash. I always paid Him back, He just did not want it in his driveway.

My first car was a 1970 Ford Maverick. It was the Grabber edition and it was Grabber Green.

That car was left on the side of the road because it broke down and I had no way to get it home and Dad did not want it in his driveway.

I would give alot to have that car back now.

I have a picture of that car somewhere.

The A body is lighter, thus faster per cubic inch or per H.P.
It is also cheaper and easier to find affordable parts for.

I always liked the AMX cars. I remember missing a deal on a Mark Donahue Replica when in High school in the 80's because Dad would not loan me the cash. I always paid Him back, He just did not want it in his driveway.

My first car was a 1970 Ford Maverick. It was the Grabber edition and it was Grabber Green.

That car was left on the side of the road because it broke down and I had no way to get it home and Dad did not want it in his driveway.

I would give alot to have that car back now.

I have a picture of that car somewhere.
I'd park it in his driveway anyway

Well, I am about to put around 20 gs into mine. Not looking for a return on my money, as I will never sell. Putting on new heads, 4 wheel discs all around, OD Trans, rebuild front end with modern parts. , roller rockers and whatever else it takes to have a good reliable street screamer. Taking the numbers motor out and putting another 340 in. Have had the car for almost 23 years, and it deserves a good makeover.

DSCN0510.JPG

fish.JPG

As always, the so called high end models bring UP the value of a "lesser" model. The lesser model is always selling for less.
BUT if a guy really rather have a 69 383 Road Runner than a 71 340 Duster, IF he has the bucks to buy, he will not pay the same for the Duster as what he would for that RR.
If that RR costs you $45000 and that 340 Duster costs $30000, many people will go with the cheaper car. As the price of 68-70 Runners/Bees and 68-70 Chargers keep going up and up, so will they bring up the price of A bodies, and 71 up B bodies.
and ya ever notice how the really wealthy always buy the most expensive models!??

I'm in the process of getting the financing, I have to be able to buy it and get it here and then get it legal. I'm not one of those people who wait 30 plus days to get it on the road legally. If it was local it would be easier but we can't have everything and I'm not going to bother the man till I have the funds to back up my mouth. I have money to work with but not enough to buy it and get it here. Hopefully soon
Okay.
So you're not ready to buy.
Fair enough.

My insurance agent is a car guy and just suggested I up my car's value on the "agreed value" in my policy! So that might be something everyone may want to look into.

-
Back