A-body vs E-body rearends

-

PostalBGraham

Reaction score
I have a '67 Barracuda that was a 273 car. I have a 340 and 727 Torqueflight that I'm going to put in soon. I was looking for an 8 3/4 rearend to put in to handle the extra torque. A friend of mine has an old rearend laying around, but he isn't sure what it came out of. He thinks it was an A-body. I measured the distance between the outsides of my leaf springs at 45 1/2 inches. He measured the spring perches on the rearend at 44 inches. He thinks the rearend might be from an E-body. My question is, could he be right? Were the E-bodies narrower than the A-bodies, or are we just measuring differently? (I was laying on my back in a confined garage in cold weather, so my measurement could be off a little.)

When you measure the spring perch's you do it from center to center. An A-body is 43 inch's center to center. The rear that your buddy has sounds like an early B-body. They will work on an A-body but you get into some strange back spacing on your wheels.

Jack

the easy way to measure the center to center dimension is to measure from the INSIDE of one side to the OUTSIDE of the other side. it is the only way to be accurate when the housing is in the car....

I got an early B body rear in my D 73 Duster. Have no problems with tire clearance. Got 15x 8 rims with 4 1/2 back spacing. Fit very well. Check the
pic in my garage of how well they fit.

If you're looking for a A-body 8 3/4, I have one for sale in the Parts For Sale area if you want to check it out... just dropped the price too as I'd like to move it out! :)

-
Back