A body with an A833 and a Gear Vendor installed

-
I know Passon has a kit to make your car basically a 3 speed and 4th with OD. Better gearing than the factory OD tranny.
Conversion Kits
I’m not sure if they sell a kit anymore? Hasn’t been listed for a few years. Seem they want to sell the entire trans already built? I inquired and the answer I was given… any thoughts on this? I’m not wanting to drop $3,600+ on an entire trans. But I would buy a gear set kit.

That’s the kit I was referring to. I called Passon and Jamie said he still sells the gears by themselves. He said at that time he only had 3 sets left and would not get more until late August.

That’s the kit I was referring to. I called Passon and Jamie said he still sells the gears by themselves. He said at that time he only had 3 sets left and would not get more until late August.
What is current pricing on them?

I would strongly advise against the OD gesrset. I had the set in my Dart and the shifting was horrible. I couldn't downshift into 2nd without darn near coming to a stop. The entire trans was rebuilt with new syncros/hubs. I tried getting support from Jamie, no dice. Called Brewers and he knew exactly. Said he could repair it for $400. I was over it. Plus the OD ratio is .80 that isn't that great.

Try searching 18 spline OD gesrset and see how many are actually using it, not many. GV/TKX on the other hand, all over the place in multiple applications.

Interesting, ok.. I’ll try hitting Passon up again.
Would you know if the gear set can be used in/on an A body trans/main shaft or if the gears are B/E body trans only?
I definitely would like to just install the gear set into my A body trans case. This is likely a question for Passon but asking here ..

Would you know if the gear set can be used in/on an A body trans/main shaft or if the gears are B/E body trans only?
I definitely would like to just install the gear set into my A body trans case. This is likely a question for Passon but asking here ..

See post above...

Changing a B/E body trans to an A-body involves changing the tail, the Mainshaft, and usually the rear bearing.
Additionally, the B-body front retainer will not fit into the standard A-body BH. This is an easy fix by using the A/F-body overdrive BH and front retainer. Some guys have machined the 4.35 BH to fit the B-body retainer. (IIRC 4.80)
You could even use the entire alloy overdrive box/retainer/and tail but you would need an A-body M/S and 3-4 synchronizer assy.

For my 367 small-block, I stuffed the guts of my standard A833, into the alloy-overdrive box, even using the overdrive M/S and 3-4 synchro hub, by fabricating a bushing for third gear, but I wouldn't recommend it for too much more power/torque than what my engine makes.
I don't recall the weight savings going from all-iron to all alloy. But I can tell you, that at age 45, I was still throwing that all alloy box up there by myself. In fact, it almost floated up there on it it's own, lol.
If you need a HD alloy box, I got mine from Passon.

Last edited:
They should work in any 833 even the aluminum OD version but someone mentioned something about having to make sure about the reverse gear meshing correctly. I would mention it to Jamie when you call.

They should work in any 833 even the aluminum OD version but someone mentioned something about having to make sure about the reverse gear meshing correctly. I would mention it to Jamie when you call.
If you put the same cover back on the box, this should not be a problem.

Got it. So what did Brewers say that would fix the issue? I can understand being frustrated but I haven't had to deal with any issues and still see the OD gearset as an option. Yeah .80 isn't a great OD ratio but I am still willing to possibly keep it open as an alternative to modifying the tunnel on the car.

Got it. So what did Brewers say that would fix the issue? I can understand being frustrated but I haven't had to deal with any issues and still see the OD gearset as an option. Yeah .80 isn't a great OD ratio but I am still willing to possibly keep it open as an alternative to modifying the tunnel on the car.

I can't remember the term he used. Something to do with the face of the gears. I think you're overthinking the trans tunnel mods of either a TKX or a gear vendors. It's not much more than adding in the hump for 4 speed from an auto.

Plus have you priced the OD gesrset? It was $2,400 when I bought it 3+ years ago.

I can't remember the term he used. Something to do with the face of the gears. I think you're overthinking the trans tunnel mods of either a TKX or a gear vendors. It's not much more than adding in the hump for 4 speed from an auto.

Plus have you priced the OD gesrset? It was $2,400 when I bought it 3+ years ago.
I will check into the TKX. I really haven't even given it a consideration because I am running buckets and don't want to end up with an obviously "weird" lookin tunnel under the carpet. The gearset from Passon is now over 3K. I still don't know why he doesn't list it on his website but he did say he will ship them separately out the door. I am going to check the TKX next.

I will check into the TKX. I really haven't even given it a consideration because I am running buckets and don't want to end up with an obviously "weird" lookin tunnel under the carpet. The gearset from Passon is now over 3K. I still don't know why he doesn't list it on his website but he did say he will ship them separately out the door. I am going to check the TKX next.

I don't think you'll have a weird tunnel at all. Look up some threads here. The only way I found the OD gesrset was an Motortrend article. I called Jamie about them and I waited like 8 mos. I thought it was going to be the cheapest way to get OD, but after sourcing the actual 4 spd and conversion parts, I would've been better ahead with a tkx

I don't think you'll have a weird tunnel at all. Look up some threads here. The only way I found the OD gesrset was an Motortrend article. I called Jamie about them and I waited like 8 mos. I thought it was going to be the cheapest way to get OD, but after sourcing the actual 4 spd and conversion parts, I would've been better ahead with a tkx
I am at this moment looking at previous installs done by other members and am seriously considering it as an option. Thanks for turning on that light. I will do further research and hopefully there may also be some videos to watch from previous installs.

The two A833OD transmissions I've installed have been working great for street driven cars. Both are behind pretty good running 340s and I have yet to see a down side. Of course I don't do a lot of powershifting at high rpm. I do however let them eat in the first three gears but not shifting with my right foot planted on the floor. I see a lot of people on this site who have had problems or just don't think they will hold up. Both of the transmissions came out of pickup trucks so maybe that's the difference. That's why they are long tailshaft but of course the same length as a 727 auto. If you plan to drag race the car with slicks or drag radials, that may have a detrimental effect on them but with 245 radials, no problems have I had. OD with no tunnel mods necessary. Just my 2 cents.

The two A833OD transmissions I've installed have been working great for street driven cars. Both are behind pretty good running 340s and I have yet to see a down side. Of course I don't do a lot of powershifting at high rpm. I do however let them eat in the first three gears but not shifting with my right foot planted on the floor. I see a lot of people on this site who have had problems or just don't think they will hold up. Both of the transmissions came out of pickup trucks so maybe that's the difference. That's why they are long tailshaft but of course the same length as a 727 auto. If you plan to drag race the car with slicks or drag radials, that may have a detrimental effect on them but with 245 radials, no problems have I had. OD with no tunnel mods necessary. Just my 2 cents.
I also have 2 factory 833 OD's which I would tear apart and rebuild before installing. While I am at it I would change out the mainshaft and tailhousings to make them A body tranny's. I already bought an aluminum tailshaft housing and the weight difference between it and the cast iron one is phenomenal. I just checked on the TKX install and yowzah, hacking the torsion support is exactly what I wanted to stay away from. So here is what I am going to do. I will run the factory OD all aluminum with maybe putting in the countershaft steel bushing mod. If I am not happy with that I will check with people who have the Passon trans mod in person including talking to Jamie at one of the big shows or maybe even going to his shop, including hitching a ride in a vehicle so equipped. If I am not still satisfied with that option I will do the B body tans with a GearVendors and hopefully end up with something I can live with. I really appreciate your feedback on the factory OD unit since right now that would be the easiest avenue to go down. This car won't be a race car, I am mostly building it as a reliable cruiser that will hopefully knock down close to 20 MPG (71 Dart 5.9 Magnum with factory MPFI, probably 3.55's with possibly 29 maybe 30 inch tall tires and some form of OD yet to be decided). I might even throw a stock 4 speed in it if I know it will end up not leaving town for a long road trip for a while ( all aluminum also of course ).

-
Back