A/C compressor as air compressor question

-

RPM

Superior Member
Reaction score
Hey A/C gurus...... I have a odd question that if someone could answer it would sure be helpful. I have a friend that is into 4x4's and off roading.
He wants to use the a/c compressors off 70's and early 80's mopars as underhood Air Compressors (using the V-twin style compressor) I have never messed with a/c let alone changing it over to a air compressor. His question is this. Are these mopar A/C systems a wet sump compressor and does it need a inline oiler on the intake?

I can get more info if needed... just thought maybe someone could answer that part of it.

thanks in advance !

-RPM

Yes the V-2 has a oil sump. Most of the conversions I saw in the early days used York (Ford) compressors. 1976 and earlier. Sorry I know I used the F word.

They work great as air compressors !!

We mounted one on a Ford (yes I know) wrecker back in the 80's .
We plumbed it into an air tank off a semi and we were able to inflate tires and use an impact, taking wheels on and off and also ran our air jack.

Looks to me it is a wet sump compressor RPM, I looked everywhere and could not find anyone saying it is, I remember seeing one of these bolted to a 2X6 with an electric motor some where used as an air compressor :coffee2:
I am not sure how long it worked for them though :coffee2:

Attachments

• mopp_p92881_image_large.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 613
Any A/C compressor is just that. A compressor. Not all of them have sumps. Mr. Hemi is right on the mark. The RV2 chrysler compressor can be used as an air compressor and will work fine, because it does have a sump, but the York compressor is better suited for the job. the same York compressor that's used in A/C systems comes available in on board air systems and has been used more than 50 years in the OTR truck industry to power air brakes and all the air accessories on OTR trucks. Yorks are cheap, too.

Also, it depends on how heavy your use is. For certain you should plumb the intake into the clean side of your engine air filter, or use a GOOD intake filter.

Originally, AC compressor "top end" was cooled -and oiled- by the returning refrigerant charge Now that you have hot air in the intake, plus "heat of compression" the thing will be running a LOT hotter, and no top end oiling.

I would guess that for "occasional" use you are OK. If you are going to turn this into a "mobile garage" I doubt it will hold up too long.

Great info guys. I appreciate it all. I didnt know they were called a RV2 pump. With some of that info I was able to go online and find a load of info about these and also how to make them a onboard compressor. It will have minimal use. Pretty much airing up tires when needed... and other trail stuff.

Thanks for the input !

-RPM

-
Back